cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 29

Re: What speed should I reasonably expect?

Sorry to be a pest but I have another question. Why is the SNR higher at the receive line than the send? You may have already answered this but I'm not sure. Does it have something to do with GNIP?

Scrums_0-1599218275748.png

PS still trying to find the phone

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 29

@Scrumswrote:

PS still trying to find the phone

Argos are doing a simple corded phone for £6.99 which can be collected from a nearby Sainsburys if required.

I gave up searching for ours!

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 29

this may help with G.INP

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/retransmission.htm

the first stage is to check for line noise and if present report phone fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 29

We found the phone 🙂 As I am disabled (MS) I will have to wait for my husband to remove faceplate to get to the master socket. And I am working from home so will have to wait until 5.

I have just received a filter and yesterday received a BT Smart Hub 2. We will have to replace our Fritzbox with that. It seems that neither Openreach engineers or people that I speak to at BT are at all happy that we are not using BT equipment.And by the way the Number to test the line is 17070 not 17970 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 29

1. Faceplate removed and replaced with filter to master socket
  2. Quiet line test from master socket was quiet. We'll test again around midday.
  3. SNR according to router stats downstream is now 8, occasionally dropping to 7
  4. Attainable throughput has dropped to 19,000
  5. Synch speed is still the same (unsurprisingly). According to BT wholesale performance tester my IP Profile is 15.94 Mbps
  6. 2 errors when reconnecting to DSL. PPPoE error: Timeout.
  7. I haven't plugged in the BT smart hub yet. Will do this if I need to contact BT about a fault

I don't know whether the PPPoE error: Timeout errors are something I need to contact BT about. Regardless, I plan to leave everything as is for a while to see whether anything improves, unless of course any of you suggest otherwise.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 29

I gave in and connected the BT hub. I was in a chat with someone at BT and they would not help me until I connected the BT hub as expected.

Here are the current connection stats from that hub:

DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours25 Mins08 Secs

Data rate:5.719 Mbps / 16.496 Mbps
Maximum data rate:5.719 Mbps / 18.840 Mbps
Noise margin:6.5 / 7.9
Line attenuation:11.5 / 24.1
Signal attenuation:11.5 / 34.9

I am using this hub basically to provide Internet and my Fritzbox is still acting as my router. I wanted this setup because the Fritzbox has so much more telephony functionality and I had already set up all the IP reservations on that box. Also I have a couple of devices that will not connect to wireless while 5G is enabled. I didn't want to go through all that setup again…

Anyway the girl at BT said that there is a fault on my line between my flat and the Cabinet. An engineer is coming on Monday morning.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 29

I have seen these errors in the log on the BT hub:

PPP IPCP Receive Configuration NAK

I assume these are errors as the N stands for negative

perhaps these are related to the PPoE errors I was getting on my other device?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 29

your connection speed is still below your expected range so hopefully engineer on monday will be able to at least get connection speed with range.  just try and maintain a stable connection until engineer visit on monday 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 19 of 29

Hopefully 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 29

Engineer came today and spent hours fixing my line. It was also clear to me from the TR69 logs on the BT device that he was also resetting my broadband limits. I now have a current throughput of 18+ Mbps, both SNR values are 6. Max DSLAM throughput is now 55,000, it was 16,486.

Tired now. Will leave it for a while and see how it settles down.I'm just glad to see the back of that constant 16,486.

Thanks everybody for your help and advice. 🤗