cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 29

Re: What speed should I reasonably expect?

Hi @Scrums,

Thank you for posting back. I'm glad the engineer was able to help. 

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 29

Since the (fantastic) engineer fixed the fault, as expected I have had various DLM settings over the week, with synchronisations early every morning.

It seems pretty clear to me from the stats over this time that my best settings are:

Max. DSLAM throughput: At least 22400
Downstream Speed: Around 22400

At these settings everything seems stable, little or no errors and steady SNR of 6. These were my settings yesterday. But for some unknown reason Max. DSLAM has dropped this morning to 20000, and as a result my speed has dropped to 19,000 and something.

I can see no good reason for this. Should I just wait or am I stuck with this?

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 29

Did you check quiet line test to make sure no line noise causing the drop in connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 29

I'll do that now and report back
0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

No noise on the quiet line test. And I'm not getting drops in connection apart from when the DLM synchronises.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 29

And these are the INP settings that I have recorded:

07/09/20203
09/09/202035
10/09/202045
12/09/202044
13/09/202043
0 Ratings
Message 27 of 29

Max. DSLAM is still 20,000 this morning. INP is back to 44. Downstream SNR is 7.
No synchronisations since it dropped to 20,000. I did however reboot the hub causing a synchronisation this morning but no change.
I gave in and booked a fault with BT. An engineer is booked for Thursday, hopefully to up my Max. DSLAM...
0 Ratings
Message 28 of 29

Well my line speed has been 18 Mbps for a few days now. An engineer came on Thursday and said that there was a problem at the exchange or the cabinet.

According to the fault tracking page this problem was supposed to have been fixed yesterday. After a few calls to BT today I am getting increasingly frustrated. They now say the problem is that my end and are sending an engineer on Monday.

What really annoys me is that even though my contract says I should get a minimum of 12 Mbps I know now that my line has been fixed I can get more. And more than 18. But nobody that I have spoken to at BT understands why I would want or need more speed. I find this attitude from a broadband provider to be unacceptable. Am I being unreasonable?

I am seriously thinking of changing provider. Not necessarily because of the speed but because of BT's attitude to my dissatisfaction with said speed.😞

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 29

Finally got speed 21.108Mbps

I had to chat with somebody (in India I think) last night to find out that the fault at the exchange had actually been fixed. So I powered down and up my BT hub last night and now have a decent speed.

I guess I would have had to wait for the power to go down if I hadn't asked.

0 Ratings