cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

What speed should I reasonably expect?

These are my broadband checker results:

Telephone Number xxxxx on Exchange WALTHAMSTOW is served by Cabinet 4
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 
36.222.47.65.918.1AvailableAvailable--
35.519.17.65.215AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 8--6 to 10AvailableAvailable--
Up to 8Up to 0.56 to 10AvailableAvailable--
Up to 2.5--2 to 5.5AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-08-22
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
20-08-2020

These are my current hub stats (I have a Fritzbox 7590):

Negotiated Connection Properties

Receive Direction Send Direction

Max. DSLAM throughputkbit/s1649610000
Min. DSLAM throughputkbit/s128-
Attainable throughputkbit/s226265753
Current throughputkbit/s164865753
Min. effective data ratekbit/s16439 
Seamless rate adaptation offoff

Latency 1 msfast
Impulse Noise Protection (INP) 330
G.INP onoff

Signal-to-noise ratiodB106
Bitswap onon
Line attenuationdB2729
approximate line lengthm918 

Profile17a  
G.Vector offoff

Carrier record J43J43

BT wholesale Performance Test Results Report
Basic Performance Test -
Time Stamp Latency Download Upload
Monday 31 August 2020 | 9:58:34 19 Ms 15.25 Mbps 5.29 Mbps
Advanced Performance Test -
Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 15.25 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 11.16-15.94 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate: 0 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),0 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
For your connection, the maximum achievable download speed is 15.94 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 15.94 Mbps
Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 5.29 Mbps
For your connection, the maximum achievable upload speed is 10 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 10 Mbps
Summary Advanced Performance Test -
Result Message
We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.It is possible that any
problems you have experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion or by a server responding
slowly. Please visit the Speed Test Guidance if you are unable to understand the test results.

As far as I can tell from all these numbers I should be getting more than I am getting now, 16,486. Can anyone see anything in any of these numbers that suggests that that would not be possible?

I would really appreciate some feedback.

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: What speed should I reasonably expect?

from what you have posted I would hope to get near your attainable speed which is bottom end of the expected range. The one stat missing is dsl connection time. From the high noise margin of 10db it suggests you are or have been having connection problems with router dropping connection maybe often.  If you can get a stable connection then DLM should reduce noise margin giving more speed but could take quite a few weeks

is there any line noise. Dial 17970 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 29

Hi it is interesting that you say 10 DB is a high noise margin. Apparently a problem was fixed on my line somewhere outside yesterday. When they told me it was fixed the noise margin was 13 DB. It has gradually returned to 10. I have read that a noise margin of less than 6 is problematic but anything higher is not. My router help files states " The higher the value, the better the signal transmission."
Nevertheless I haven't noticed any dropouts either as 'user' or looking in the Internet logs on my router.
I will need to dig out our corded phone as it is a long time since we've used it 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 29

The optimal noise margin is 6db reducing to 3db if G.INP is activated by DLM.  Your connection speed will increase as and when you can get noise margin down to 6db which will happen when DLM sees your stable connection 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

Sorry but I'm still confused. Again quoting the help file for my router:
"The signal-to-noise ratio is a value for the quality of the DSL signal. The higher the ratio, the more stable the DSL connection."
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

The figure quoted is signal to noise MARGIN, which is the amount of margin your signal to noise ratio has. DLM will attempt to set your speed to give a margin of 3dB,  if your line is unstable at that it will lower your speed to increase the margin until you have stable line.

Message 7 of 29

Okay assuming I do the noise test on my line and find a problem, I will raise a fault with BT to get that fixed.

I would hope then that the SNR lowers and as a result my speed increases. Is that a fair assumption?

What I'm asking really is does this work in both directions? If the line is noisy, the DLM lowers my speed. My line becomes healthier will the DLM automatically raise my speed, or do I have to ask someone at BT to do this?

My router is already configured for maximum performance in this area:

Scrums_0-1599205707517.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 29

Yes, DLM works both ways and is totally automatic.

Message 9 of 29

Yes, if your line is audibly noisy, report it as a noisy line don't mention broadband. DLM is a continuous automatic process that monitors your line to give optimum speed and stability.

Message 10 of 29

if you find you have a noisy line then that will interfere with your broadband causing DLM to increase noise margin and reduce connection speed.  when you get your line fixed and rid of the noise then DLM will reduce noise margin back to normal 6db (3db if G.INP active) and your connection speed will increase.  However although this is an automatic process it can take DLM a few week of stable connection before DLM starts to take any action