Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Magrox
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

What to expect on installation

Go to solution

I currently have ADSL broadband but have now ordered Superfast Fibre from the BT website. At the time of ordering the website said I didn’t need to be at home for the installation. If I log on to My BT  it says I need to be at home for the installation. Our area has been cabled up for FTTP  which is confirmed when I use the Openreach checker. The checker also says FTTP is a 1 stage process for my phone number. Should I be expecting a speed limited FTTP product with an ONT box or just a FTTC connection? If it is an ONT box I would prefer to have it installed in a different room to where the current Master Socket is situated even if the Master Socket ends up in the new location as well. The current Master Socket hasn’t been touched for the last 32 years so doesn’t have any fancy faceplate etc. and it isn’t well situated for plug sockets.

I don’t know if it would have helped my understanding of what is being installed but I never received an email with any details about the order. However, it is showing in My BT and the Openreach checker says there is a Broadband cease on my number due on Friday when I am expecting the new installation, so Openreach are aware I want something doing.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: What to expect on installation

Go to solution

To confirm you will be on FTTP ring the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787. Someone will need to be present at the property for FTTP install. The engineer will discuss the location of the ONT with you and do what he/she can to accommodate.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

If it is FTTP, which it sounds like it is then you don’t have to have to ONT anywhere near the existing NTE as the two Networks are completely separate from each other, in fact unless you’re connected directly to the Parent Exchange then the Fibre Cable won’t even come from the Exchange your phone line is connected to.

Magrox
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Rang the number and they confirmed I am getting FTTP and someone needs to be in the house. Many thanks
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

You're welcome. Let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings
Magrox
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Openreach turned up this morning. They disconnected the old copper line and installed a new fibre line and ONT in the location I wanted. They also added a new Mastersocket next to the ONT. The system delivered 50 Mbps download and 11 Mbps straight away which are the speeds I am paying for. I guess if I ever want a faster speed it is just a software change for BT as the fibre and ONT will be the same.

0 Ratings