cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
albertj
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

What to expect with FTTP install with Complete WiFi?

Hello,

I ordered the 74mbps BT Plus FTTP with Complete WiFi.

FTTP was just installed near me, so engineer required for install. From what I can tell they ran it up to the pole, but not to my house, the cable runs overhead.

When ordering, the person I spoke to didn't seem very knowledgeable and couldn't understand many of my questions. 

Could someone tell me what to expect? 

I am to expect two engineers I have been told - which is really annoying as one is unannounced to install a 10 x 15cm box on the outside of the house. It's a listed building and I would like to decide how the cable runs. She put the phone number down and to call before coming but I am doubtful this will occur. Where does the engineer usually put this box? Is the fibre ran alongside the copper?

Then we have the planned engineer where we do need to be here, what do they do? From a bit of research online they install a massive white box on the wall - again where does this go? In the house, the master socket is not used and instead an extension socket is used... where will the fibre (ONT is it called) be installed?

For extension phone sockets, do these require re-cabling, or do they use the existing copper for these and no internet is carried? Or are they just disregarded? 

Also, I have opted for Complete WiFi (as this was the only plan offered to me to upgrade). Does the engineer set up the Smart Hub 2 and not the disk or the disk as well. Or leave us with the router, which would be surprising considering it arrives before the engineer gets here.

Thank you so much for any help,  I have seen a picture of the ONT and Battery Backup (where there is no cupboard to install it in my house), but not this 10 x 15cm box so a picture would be so helpful.

Thanks again

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: What to expect with FTTP install with Complete WiFi?

The 10x15cm box is for legacy fibre installs. You will be getting CBT Fibre install , one engineer,  ONT inside usually sited where you want it if possible. He will also sort out your phone lines.

The engineer will connect your hub to ONT, show it works and go. Setting up the wireless is up to you.

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

So this person has given wrong information?

I won't be getting this 10 x 15cm on the exterior of my property? And there will only be one engineer, not this unplanned one I was told about?

Does the fibre just go straight into this ONT? Why would they say there were two engineers and about this box?

It looks like you plugs phones into this ONT, does that mean the telephone sockets in the house will no longer work?

Thank you so much for your time, much appreciated

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you enter your number in the DSL checker HERE it should show if One Stage (1 engineer) or Two Stage (2 engineer).

Fibre goes to ONT. For sockets to work is simple and the engineer should do it for you. Just takes a socket and length of wire.

0 Ratings
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

I believe your voice service will continue to be supplied by the existing copper phone cable so shouldn't be any change there.  BT provide something called FVA (Fibre Voice Access) where the fibre cable has an additional copper cable for the phone but this is usually installed on "greenfield" or new build sites only.

You should be able to have the fibre cable run to exactly where you need it for the ONT - it is quite a big box due to the additional battery backup unit inside the case.  Your router will then plug into this ONT so you will need two power sockets nearby.

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

OK, I put my phone number in and it says 1 Stage, so I will assume this is the one planned visit..

Did the person I spoke to get it wrong?

--
0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

OK, so we can decide where it goes?...

Is the battery backup still supplied, article here by ISPreview says they don’t: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/openreach-to-stop-providing-battery-backup-for-fttp-br...

but looking at recent installs on youtube it would appear they still do.

--
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

The BBU, Battery Back Up is no longer supplied by Openreach.

The newer 1+1 ONT used to come in a case that housed that and the BBU.

About a month ago Openreach removed the BBU and the case just housed the ONT. This was because the ONT still had the BT Corporate Logo on it.

Openreach now supply plain Openreach Branded Standalone ONT’s and these are fitted without the case. 

All FTTP trained Engineers were supposed to hand in their ONT & BBU Combo and ONT Reduced Unit (ONT with Case but no BBU) last week and now only supply the Standalone ONT but it’s impossible to say if the Engineer who comes to Install yours will or won’t use the Standalone, ONT Bundle or ONT Reduced Bundle?