Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LesJ
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

When? It seems to be a state secret

12 months ago (Spring bank holiday week of 2013, I remember as I was on holiday that week) a fibre cabinet appeared on Scholes Staion Road linked to my BT telphone cabinet (cabinet 22 of Seacroft Exchange Leeds). Since then I have scoured the bt sit, and the BT Wholesale "BT Broadband Availaibilty Checker, for information on when Infinity will be available on my line, phoned numerous times to BT sales. The answers range from the truthfull (if not helpful) "Don't know" right thorugh to "oh only weeks or possibly days" including "have you tried the BT/Openreach websites (after telling them I had)". Getting straight forward simple answers is impossible. Passing the buck also seems to be the call centre's favourite option. I've asked to be put through to engineering but I might as well be asking for the Queens personal telephone number by the reaction. Needless to say that myself and BT/Openreach engineering are still strangers.

Two weeks ago I was walking past the Fibre cabinet when a BT/Openreach engineer was peering into the cabinet. I apologised for interupting him and asked him if he could tell me when the cabinet would be commisioned and avaiable for Infinity orders. I wish I had asked for his name to email BT and thank his bosses as he was a complete star. Got his laptop from the van but despite some frantic tapping of his keyboard he could not give me much in the way of information, save for a "possibly July". On scrathing his head he said "I can't understand it beacause this (holding a thick black cable) is the fibre optic cable, there is power to the cabinet, the batteries are in place and ready to be connected, the connections for the telephone cabinet are all their, all it needs is commisioning".

So pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease can one of your experts tell me how long I have to wait to upgrade from my curerent at best 2mbps broadband to Infinity.

Thanking you in advance

ps if one of the experts requires my address/phone number then please email me and I will be more than happy to oblige, but obviously I am not prepared to put that information on here.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: When? It seems to be a state secret

only openreach can tell you when your cabinet will be available to order.  your ISP BT Retail don't have the information.

I can appreciate your frustration as my cabinet was in place over a year before it was available.  it also had fibre and power and batteries but the the problem was blocked ducts for the main fibre cable from the exchange.  once this was eventually cleared the cabinets in my town were live in 7 days

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
LesJ
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply, even though I am no more forward then before.

So where and who do I contact at Openreach to find out?

0 Ratings
boombox
Message 4 of 5

apparently the public cannot speak to openreach! that is what i have been told for the last week, when discussiin a fault with my infinity connection. only BT can contact them. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

As already said openreach do not deal with the public - their customers are the ISPs and openreach will only deal with them. You just need to keep using the wholesale ckecker to see if and when fibre will be available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings