cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steepledoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

When is an upgrade not an upgrade?

I recently 'upgraded' from Infinity 1 to BT Plus at an additional cost of £2.50. So why does my line speed remain at 49MBPS, which it was prior to upgrade?

BT did warn I would not get the 'average' Superfast speed of 67MBPS. But why not? With the same line, hub, address and everything else, my speed 2 years ago was 65MBPS.

Have BT downgraded my exchange?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: When is an upgrade not an upgrade?

can you post stats from your hub  hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

can you enter your phone number and post results  delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
steepledoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I’ve been thru troubleshooting and help desk, issue is not technical-

2016 - avg speed 65meg on Infinity 2

2017 - speed down to avg 49meg after downgrade to Infinity 1 

2018 - speed stays at 49meg after ‘upgrade’ to Superfast

BT say I cannot expect any faster speed. So why could they give me faster speed in 2016? Is Infinity 2 faster than ‘fastest ever’ Superfast?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

can you post the stats and checker results please as it will help forum members help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
steepledoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

My issue is MARKETING, not technical. BT tell me I am getting the fastest speed available when I’m clearly not. If I could post the Speedchecker history I would but it doesn’t permit this. In Oct 2016, my average speed was between 65 and 68 mbps, and short of obtaining another iPad to photograph the screen it’s just my word for it...

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 16

Speeds can decline as more people connect to VDSL on your cabinet, crosstalk may become an issue , and your speed is reduced as a consequence.
You have been asked to provide your router stats to see what you max attainable speed is, it's possible you have a line problem that is impacting on your  connection speed, but you seem reluctant to provide this information.....If you were on Infinity 1 and not maxing out at 55Mb, it suggests that for whatever reason that what you were getting is all your line currently can offer , so upgrading to 'faster' package wasn't in itself going to provide any extra speed.
If you used to get 60Mb+ when you were an Infinity 2 customer , then that is quite a marked reduction, have you tried your router in the master socket test port, have you done a quiet line test from the test port to see if your line is noisy ?
What do you get if you enter your phone number here
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Your issue is TECHNICAL, how can loss of speed be anything else. The marketing part is how Ofcom have insisted ISPs advertise speeds. The average is not YOUR average, it is the average of the company and is thus a totally meaningless figure.

0 Ratings
steepledoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 16

I reduced from 65mbps to 49mbps when I downgraded from Infinity 2 to Infinity 1.  That is because I chose to pay less, not because the router is faulty or incorrectly configured. How BT reduced my speed is something they control, not me.

I would like to know why BT told me (AFTER I'd paid for an upgrade) that the maximum speed I could expect from the upgrade was 50mbps, ie they are unable (or choose not to) restore the speed I had under Infinity 2.

I know when BT say the average speed is 67mbps it doesn't mean I personally will get that.

Except that I used to.

Not sure how router stats will solve that. Even less sure how to produce them.

0 Ratings
steepledoc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number ************* on Exchange BARCOMBE is served by Cabinet 3

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus

VDSL Range A (Clean) 51 35 10 6.4 32.4 Available Available --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 42.5 27.4 8.8 4.7 22.2 Available Available --  
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- --  
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 2 -- 1.5 to 4 Available -- --  
ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- --  
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- --  
VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --  
Bridge Tap N            
VRI N            
NTEFaceplate N            
Last Test Date 19-09-2018