cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrh2019
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Where has my speed gone..

Hi all I've had Infinity 2 now for over a year and been enjoying connection speeds off Meg up and Meg down, that was until the about a week ago where it has now dropped to at best 44 up and 6 down. Have done a number of online speed test and all give the same result  Have tried a different router, makes no difference. Have spoken to BT India they say there are no problems with the line and this is the max speed I should get... 

I'm not happy bunny.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this.

Regards,

Martin

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Where has my speed gone..

@mrh2019 wrote:

Hi all I've had Infinity 2 now for over a year and been enjoying connection speeds off Meg up and Meg down

What speed is that, off Meg up and Meg down?

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 3 of 18

As above tell us what speed you had before.
0 Ratings
mrh2019
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

O'dear Smiley Embarassed that was the BT spell check that did that Smiley LOL

Right then.... my old speeds 59 Meg down and 13 Meg up, now getting 44 Meg down and 6 Meg up....

Regards,

Martin

0 Ratings
mrh2019
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Well I've not had any replies as of yet, but there is now a large number of posts on this forum with people having the same problem. Would be nice to hear from BT about what is happening....

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 6 of 18

What is your speed estimate as if you where a new customer this may have changed from the previous year.
0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 7 of 18

Let us know when you've checked
0 Ratings
mrh2019
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

my speed estimate was about 63, I was getting 59 which was great but now its down to 55 speed estimate, which is 44 in the real world which I think is a BIG drop and all this has happened in about a week..

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 9 of 18

You need to see if the speed estimate has changed not what you where told before. You need to get check the estimate real time not what they told you last year.
0 Ratings
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

I was one of the first to get Infinity in my area and hit about 42 at peak (even though original estimate was 32). Now I can't get higher than 34. This is because as more and more people joined Infinity, crosstalk increases in the cabinet and the speed reduces. Also I understand from searching that drop cables at the cabinet can be shared with other users and that can cause a more sudden drop. BT have a policy of not undoing this even if you complain. So unfortunately many of us have had to contend with dropping speeds as more neighbours join in.

The BT estimate now says 30.4 for my line which I always feel is a somewhat naughty thing that BT change this after a year of having the service.

There are advances still being rolled out by BT Wholesale such as vectoring which remove some most of the effects of crosstalk. I believe this is being trialled right now. I also understand this will be an easier roll-out for those with Huawei equipment at the cabinet (your modem will also be a Huawei one if the cabinet is). 

0 Ratings