cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Who Is Responsible For My NTE 5C Faceplate?

As per the subject line, can someone please advise who is responsible for my NTE5C faceplate, BT Broadband/Openreach or me?

Every few weeks or so, I do a 17070 quiet line test, (due to problems in the past), and can sometimes hear noise on the line. When I test at the master socket, (we only have 1 socket - no extensions), with the faceplate on the noise will usually still be there, but not when the faceplate is removed and the same test is made in the "engineer's" socket. I suspect that the faceplate "plug" is making a poor connection with the "engineer's" socket that deteriorates over time. On most occasions, once the faceplate has been restored the noise has gone - until the next time. I have heard that the clip-on faceplates, like I have, are known for this type of problem?

I have FTTC broadband, and being only 50 metres from the cabinet my SmartHub syncs at the full 80/20 without dropping out, but interrogating it's stats shows the max attainable speeds and noise margins to vary quite a bit with this problem.

In the past, because of my "contract" with BT, I would not be charged if a fault was found to be within my responsibility, (I'm not quite sure why - but didn't question it!). Openreach would come out and replace the faceplate, and all would be good again - until the cycle repeated!

I am now on different terms with BT, and when I reported a possible issue with the faceplate to BT, they told me that the network ended at the engineer's socket, the faceplate was my responsibility, and I should buy a new one  myself if it was faulty.

Before I go out and buy one, is this correct or am I being fobbed off?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Who Is Responsible For My NTE 5C Faceplate?

Bit of a grey area. It was Openreach's responsibility and thereafter any internal wiring was your responsibility however the following link has a different demarcation line albeit the master socket is still part of the Openreach network and not your home wiring.

I suspect that if the master socket is faulty, Openreach would replace it free of charge but obviously I can not guarantee that.

See link

Engineer Home Improvement Service charges | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@gg30340 

Thanks for the reply.

From that page that you linked to: "We won't be able to tell you if there's a charge until after an engineer visits your premises." A bit worrying! 

When I had my master phone socket moved a few years ago it was a very simple job - but still cost me £128, so £85, (including VAT?), is a bit of a bargain 😉 .

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

is this occasional line noise affecting your broadband connection - actual connection speed not attainable speed which does vary daily - or at least mine does.  if not affecting connection then ignore it or just connect to test socket and solve the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@imjolly 

As I mentioned in my OP, the actual broadband connection is very stable. Being only 50 metres from the cabinet, (I know exactly how the cable from my house to cabinet runs), I have enough headroom for it not to drop. The headroom varies with the noise, (as would be expected). The noise is more of an issue with voice calls.

I have considered connecting directly to the test socket, but that is not a very neat solution - which is why I am considering buying a spare faceplate if  it is my responsibility.

If I do buy one myself, are there any recommendations - or are they all the same?

Is the 5C still the latest master socket? ISTR that it came out about 5 years ago and these sort of problems with them started soon after?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

i have the same master socket and don't have any problems with connection.  the posts on the forum previously the problem was mainly that the front of master was not securely clipped in place and was causing connection problems.  you can get various front plates including an Openreach one just like you have - ebay   

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

The faceplate is securely clipped in place - I was alerted to that possibility by previous posts in these forums, but it hasn't been an issue in my case - always feels secure.

I have seen various faceplates on eBay, (as you say), and Amazon with quite a variation in price. Apart from some of them only having a single socket on the front, is there much difference in performance between the Openreach badged ones and other manufacturers? (Question to all, as I don't suppose @imjolly has ever had to buy one?).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Contrary to your thought I did buy mine of Ebay - genuine openreach but as few years ago cannot remember cost

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

@imjolly 

Thanks. I have bought an "Openreach" one off of eBay - once I had arranged the various options properly the price differential wasn't as great as I first thought.

When I asked about other brands I was mindful that with some things, (SmartHubs for example), the recommendation on these forums is sometimes to go for a third party option rather than BT's own offering. I decided however, that if Openreach do ever have to come to my home for a fault, then they are more likely to replace one of their own branded faceplates, (if needed),FoC, rather than if there is an unknown brand one in the socket?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

I would think (not guarantee) that if you just reported a noisy line then the engineer would just have replaced the front plate if that resolved the issue and there would be no charge. The engineers don't go looking to charge a custome for such a simple fix. They're a good bunch really.

Offer of tea/coffee and biscuits goes a long way.🤣

0 Ratings