Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tenonsaw7
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Who to believe about Superfast Fibre Essential 30GB

Go to solution

Having recently upgraded to Superfast Fibre Essential 30GB I did a speed test today as I am not really noticing much improvement in surfing speeds. I went to broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk which gave me a result of 11.37Mb/s download and 8.92 upload. The I came to this forum and found the BT speed checker which says my hub is working at 37.4Mb/s [just the one figure]. In my Task Bar I only have 3 bars of the wifi showing whereas it use to be all 5. Not that impressed yet.

Happy to post data if that helps with solution.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
tenonsaw7
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: Who to believe about Superfast Fibre Essential 30GB

Go to solution

I doubt this forum is read by BT staff. So who do I ask about this? Chatting live on line is hopeless. The only way to get BT to do anything seems to be to use the complaint channels.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

The is primarily a customer help customer forum as it says when you sign up. There are forum mods who can help if forum members cant

Post stat from your hub. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log onformation

there is no guarantee on download speed and especially wireless speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

It is unlikely that you would notice a difference when just generally surfing the Internet. Where you should notice a difference is if you were downloading files or if you were streaming video content or if you had many users on your broadband connection at the same time.

As regards the "bars" on your task bar, that is not a very reliable guide as to how your connection is performing. All that is showing is the strength of the wireless signal that your device is receiving. This can be affected by local wireless interference and can bear no relation to what your actual connection speed is. 

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

To check there is no problems within your property is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

Test socket.jpg

tenonsaw7
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Helpful replies this far. My question was "Who do I believe". My experience of downloading a Windows update was particularly disappointing.

Hub Data gives Data rate: 9.99 Mbps / 39.97 Mbps and all other data is what I would expect so I have not posted here.

BT's own speed test says 35.7MB/s

Yet tests on several other websites gives Download speed of a mere 4.2MB/s

The best result I have had was on http://www.broadbandperformance.co.uk/ which gave me 19.7MB/s so now I am really confused. Perhaps these sites are rigged to give one poor results in the hope you will change ISP.

I just want what I am paying for!

Will carry out other suggestions when I get time.

0 Ratings
tenonsaw7
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

FAO Distinguished Sage

Checker.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

"Who I believe?" perhaps those on here who try to help you.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Really need you to post router stats and full results from btspeedtester diagnostic test using wired connection

are you sure you are not confusing bits and bytes when comparing speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

You would appear to be mixing Megabits (Mb)  and Megabytes (MB) which is why you are seeing vastly different readings.

The difference between a (MB) Megabyte (used for file size) and a (Mb) Megabit (used for download speeds). People often assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second (1 Mbps) will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, a Megabit is 1/8 as big as a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8Mbps.

You gave and example of a download of a mere 4.2 MB/s.  That would convert to 33Mbps which is roughly in line with your other speed tests which cn vary slightly.

Your hub data is showing that your data rate is 39.99 Mbps. That is the speed to believe.

tenonsaw7
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Aha! This is the answer. I am simply daft. As you say, I did not understand the terminology.

I am now on my laptop in the dining room and a speed test on a non-BT site yields 38.27Mb/s and 9.25Mb/s.

Next step, to find out what's wrong with signal to upstairs.

@ pippincp My 'who' meant which website / organisation. I was not doubting individuals on here.

Perhaps just one last questions regarding wired connections: presumably I'd need to purchase a wire -which I don't have- on the basis that I cannot simply plug the one that comes out of the filter into a laptop. (Not that I need to do this now as I can see that the BB speed is OK and it is my PC which is perhaps not responding well)

0 Ratings