cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robartist
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Who will do the install - Openreach or a sub contractor?

Go to solution

Hello all - again 🙂

I am moving from Virgin to BT for both broadband and fibre.

I have an engineer's visit scheduled in a ten days time to install both phone and fibre 2.

Will it most likely be Openreach or a sub contractor?

Anyone know?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Who will do the install - Openreach or a sub contractor?

Go to solution

Either.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

If it’s FTTP and you live in Great Britain it’ll be an Openreach Engineer. In NI they do use Contractors.

If it’s VDSL then as above its 50/50 as to whether it’ll be an Openreach Engineer or a Contractor.

If you’re concerned about it being a Contractor because of what you hear about their poor workmanship and lack of technical ability then I can assure you the majority of new Openreach Recruits are as equally as bad due to **bleep** poor training and and even worse selection process when it comes to hiring.

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for your replies.

I had seen a comment or two online that got me wondering....

Related question. If they refuse to put the new master socket where I would like it to be - about 5 metres from current old socket. (but in both cases immediately inside an outside wall)  What should I do? Refuse the whole install and go back to BT and ask them to sort it out?

Also, are the engineers given a fixed amount of time to do an install? Mine would take longer than most I think.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

How long an Install takes depends on a multitude of factors.

You’re worrying yourself over things you have no control of. Just let the the install going ahead and deal with any issues if and when they arise.

robartist
Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks but I do need to know what to do if they refuse to put the new master socket where I want it.

Because if I let them put it elsewhere then I would have to pay openreach to move it to the preferred location. Which, as pensioners, we can ill afford.

So, I think it's a reasonable question. What do I do in those circumstances? Anyone know? 

Thanks for any help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

The installer will place the master socket where you want as long as it is in an accessible place. 

If he/she refuses, which is unlikely, you will be given the reason for the refusal and you will need to decide what you want to do there after.

robartist
Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Many thanks gg30340 that's very helpful.

Sub question. Where do most people have the master socket located? We live in a Victorian semi. Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

@robartist  Please stop overthinking all this, everything will be fine.  😀

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Only you can decide where you want the socket in your property. You will obviously want it near to a power socket and in the room where you want the router/ Smarthub sited.

If you are connecting a Smart TV to the broadband it is best to do that by Ethernet so you would want your router in the same room as the TV if possible. 

If you intend to use your broadband via wireless through out your property it is often best to place the router near the centre of the property so that the wireless signal radiates out but that is not essential unless your house is very large.