cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
con_dorleone
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Why am I getting different speeds on the 2.4 and 5GHz settings?

I apologise if this question's been asked already - but recently I decided to switch to Infinity 2 from O2. Since the installation I've noticed something very odd - devices such as my iPhone5 and iPad which connect to the HH4 at the 5GHz setting report download speeds of on average 65mbs, however other devises such as my laptop which can only connect via the 2.4Ghz setting only get downloads of 35 to 40mbs?  Can anyone explain why this anomaly taking place?  I thought the 'guaranteed' download speed of 65mbs would be applicable to both frequencies?

My test results are as follows:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 74.36 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps

Any help greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
noel2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: Why am I getting different speeds on the 2.4 and 5GHz settings?

You may have more wireless networks around you that are using the 2.4GHz range, therefore you will have more interference and the result is a slower speed. The whole point of the 5GHz option is that it gets around this interference and hence the higher speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 20

The 5Ghz band defaults to 40Mhz dual-channel, but the 2.4Ghz band defaults to 20Mhz single-channel. So the 5Ghz is twice as fast by default. You can change this.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
noel2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

@ray_dorset wrote:

The 5Ghz band defaults to 40Mhz dual-channel, but the 2.4Ghz band defaults to 20Mhz single-channel. So the 5Ghz is twice as fast by default. You can change this.

If there are a lot of wireless networks around you, turning on the 40Mhz option for 2.4Ghz can have a detrimental effect on speed for both yourself and others around you.

0 Ratings
con_dorleone
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Cheers Noel & Ray! Brilliant responses.  I've had a look at the HH4 and for both 2.4GHz and %GHz frequencies the settings are the 'Automatic (Smart Wireless) which the engineer set up during the installation.  Which frequencies do you recommend I change them to?  Or should I just use inSIDDer to ascertain relatively 'quiet' frequencies?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
noel2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

@con_dorleone wrote:

Cheers Noel & Ray! Brilliant responses.  I've had a look at the HH4 and for both 2.4GHz and %GHz frequencies the settings are the 'Automatic (Smart Wireless) which the engineer set up during the installation.  Which frequencies do you recommend I change them to?  Or should I just use inSIDDer to ascertain relatively 'quiet' frequencies?

Many thanks.

You're very welcome, yes it's best to use inSIDDer to see what wireless channel is free to use.

0 Ratings
con_dorleone
Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Will do. And I won't touch the 40Mhz option for 2.4Ghz frequencies at all if that's what you advise?

Thanks again for everyone's brilliant help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 20

I have my 2.4Ghz on 40Mhz dual-channel and it flies 🙂
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
noel2013
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

@con_dorleone wrote:

Will do. And I won't touch the 40Mhz option for 2.4Ghz frequencies at all if that's what you advise?

Thanks again for everyone's brilliant help.

You can try the 40Mhz option and see if you get a speed increase or a decrease, it just depends what wireless networks there are around you.

0 Ratings
con_dorleone
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Just tried the 40MHz switch - didn't make a blind bit of difference!  Will stick with the usual and use inSIDDer tonight when everyone around here's online, so atleast can see if there are any frequencies better than others.

Thanks.

0 Ratings