cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
M_R
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Why can't I get fibre when my house is a two minute walk away from a BT station/building.

Go to solution

I don't live in a flat, I live in London in a normal two story house, I currently have sky the contract has ended, I live so close to the BT station, I can literally see it from my house, Its a two minute walk away, other houses way further out than mine can get fibre, I've tried BT, Virgin, Sky, Talk Talk and Vodafone to get fibre they all say the same thing, that its not available in my area, I've rung them and have been told the same thing.

I just have one burning question. Why?, Why can't I get fibre, we've been needing an upgrade for sometime now but I just get one, I have installed WiFi extenders but it hasn't changed much, I have a fairly large family and its just to slow. I feel like my WiFi is just going to be forever stuck at 11mb/s download (4 to 2mb/s in almost every room upstairs) upstairs.

I don't know if this is just an error or if i really can't get fibre in my area, I just want to know why. Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Why can't I get fibre when my house is a two minute walk away from a BT station/building.

Go to solution

as you are not a BT customer then enter your address and post results  delete address but leave exchange and cab number    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: Why can't I get fibre when my house is a two minute walk away from a BT station/building.

Go to solution

@M_R 

FTTC comes from the cabinet not the exchange, and if you are that close to the exchange, you may be on an EO (Exchange Only) connection.

0 Ratings
M_R
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

There is one on the next street over a green one

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

use the link I posted and then post results   it may be you are not connected to that cab just because it is a few streets away does not mean you are connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
M_R
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Capture 6.PNG

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

San you can see from the results you are connected direct to the exchange and fibre is available only from street cabinets.  Openreach were erecting cabs outside exchange but no set timescale

0 Ratings
M_R
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, this is the only answer I've received about the reason behind this.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

It is the whole reason behind it.

0 Ratings