cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lizmk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Why can't I get superfast broadband from any other provider when I have had it with BT for 3-4 years

Go to solution

I currently have a BT package for phone, broadband and a basic TV package.  I have BT Infinity broadband, and have had it for the past 3-4 years.  As it is coming up to the time when the annual line rental saver is due, and all the prices will go up (unless I re-negotiate), I thought I would look around at other options.  I looked at Sky, Virgin and Talk Talk, and all 3 of them have said that superfast broadband is not yet available for my area, and that my phone number is not recognised.  After BT implemented the fibre broadband equipment at my house, even their own website did not recognise my phone number – all checks to see what other services I could get from BT resulted in a message saying that my phone number didn’t exist, even though BT were providing me with the service!  After endless phone calls (over a period of 2 years!), I finally discovered that they had switched me to a fibre optic phone line, which was on a completely different system, and therefore not recognised, even by BTs own systems.  My options appear to either be to stick with BT and have superfast broadband, or switch to another provider but give up the fast broadband.  I don’t understand why I am restricted to BT?  Surely all providers use the same lines?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Why can't I get superfast broadband from any other provider when I have had it with BT for 3-4 y

Go to solution

You would appear to be on a FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)  connection and not a FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) connection. If that is the case it may well be that no supplier other than BT is offering that.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

This will show if you are connected to a cabinet and what services it can receive.

EDIT: A FTTP connection does not use the copper phone lines from the cabinet that all the providers use. Instead it is a fibre optic line all the way to your house.

Message 3 of 8

Re: Why can't I get superfast broadband from any other provider when I have had it with BT for 3-4 y

Go to solution
Not many ISP's sell Openreach FTTP. The only ones I can think of at the top of my head that do are BT, Plusnet and Zen.

Sky and TALKTALK won't, which is odd given they're in the press every other day crying that Openreach haven't got a National FTTP Network but yet in the places they do have it they won't sell it?
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
AAISP are also resellers of Openreach FTTP.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
lizmk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the explanation.  

Using the phone number I got:

"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line."

Access line id:

"There is no data available for this access line id. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT access line id that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line."

Using my postcode, I got:

Capture.PNG

I guess I will be sticking with BT as I want to keep Infinity.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

You could contact one of the suppliers mentioned.

If you are happy with your service why change? As FTTP is still a relatively rare breed there won't be many (if any) deals out there.

0 Ratings
pavjanas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, I have the same issue. My contract is up so was looking to move to sky. I checked on sky's website and was able to get their superfast broadband avg. 61Mbs. I rang BT and cancelled my services. I then went to buy the Sky package and when checking broadband I was only getting essential 4.4-9.1Mbs? Any idea why I suddenly lost my fiber optic option?

Untitled.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@pavjanas 

You would have to ask Sky that, as this is a BT Retail customer forum. The network is provided by Openreach, so perhaps you should ask them?

Its no good using the BT Broadband Availability Checker, as that does not work for Sky phone numbers, and the address checker is not accurate enough.

Its most likely that the actual cabinet you are connected to, is full. Your old BT connection would have been ceased and given to someone else.