cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 28

Why did my broadband randomly cut out on 2 occasions?

I will admit, i had some reliability issues with my broadband a few months back but has all been fixed now. The original setup was a telephone extension (hardwired) running from the mastersocket behind the sofa downstairs to my bedroom upstairs where the router was originally located.

To gain more advantage of speeds and ping and so i don't have any extensions which can go faulty, i have moved the router box downstairs an have run a cat 5e cable to my room which go's to a network switch which then connects to various devices. I also have a cat 5e cable for downstairs which connect to the downstairs sky q boxes (again, via a switch, but for downstairs i am using a spare hh3 as i only have 1 switch which is being used upstairs. 

Though the reliabillity and speeds have improved drastically, i've still got random drop outs about twice now. 

There is a slight buzzing noise (very faint) on our landline which we barely use and im assuming its just general speaker noise (like when you here buzzing noises on your tv speakers, car speakers and surround sound speakers etc. 

I have ran an online line test and has came out clear. 

the micro-filter is plugged directly into the test socket. 

the microfilter i am using is my spare one at the moment so you can probably i had drop-outs with my other microfilter. 

I am using a VDSL FTTC serivce on a ADSL Filter, could it be i need a special VDSL one?

Hub stats posted below

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

24-Feb-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 49 Minutes 5 Seconds

Data rate:

10.00 Mbps / 55.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

14301 / 67529

Noise margin:

8.3 dB / 9 dB

Line attenuation:

35.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

23 dB / 35.7 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

The broadband cut outs were infrequent (on both occasions it cut out after 13 days since being connected.)

But the first time it cut out, the router was hanging on the purple light and i had to restart it.

This time today, it cut out when everyone was using it.

Me and my brother game alot so dropouts during an online session would be very annoying, Especially if you are in a gta online heist and the whole job fails because you lose connection.

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Re: Why did my broadband randomly cut out on 2 occasions?

From your stats your are on fibre 1 with max connection speed 55/10mb.  Your filter is ok as there is no special filter for fibre

if your hub is resetting about every 14 days that is a well known problem and there are numerous other posts about it. As long as your speed returns to 55/10 when hub reconnects then there is not a problem more an inconvenience

if you get the buzzing noise in test socket with corded phone then you need to report a phone fault as line should be silent

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 28

I appreciate your reply, however the issue is not the router restarting, its that the router loses sync with the line so the light turns purple and/or orange. Im guessing the VDSL faceplates are to filter any phone extensions to prevent any speed loss. However i might get one in the near future anyway for good measure.

I just dont want to go though phoning BT to report a fault and when they run a test on their end it comes out clear, then they send an engineer with a threat of a £130 call out charge and the engineer(s) running around like headless chicken trying to find a fault that might not even exist in the first place. Im looking to buy a new router in the near future but for now the HH6 is going to have to do. I do have a HH3 and a openreach modem but the wireless signal on the hh3 drops out after a few hours.

As stated the line test i did online came out clear, i wouldn't see a reason that a online, line test would have different results compared to one that someone would run in a call centre.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 28

You post said there was a buzzing noise on landline and that would easily cause problems with your connection but choice is yours. If problem is there when using the test socket then problem outside your home and the engineer charge of £85 (reduced from £130 months ago) is only I'd problem within your home

i assume you do not have the modem connected as well as hh6

if drops are every 14 days or thereabouts then there is nothing you can do to stop that apart from 3rd party router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 28

IM plugging in the hh3 and openreach moden tonight, if it still drops out, i will unplug the landline, if it still drops out then i will report a fault most likely.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 28

Update: I plugged in the HH3, and looking at the logs that dropped broadband connection aswell. I cannot verify if the modem had also dropped connection as i can't get into the menu.
The HH3 was also dropping wireless aswell which is obviously unrelated to the broadband so that has now been thrown in the bin.
I plugged the smart hub back in and still dropping connection.

Im planning to do a live chat tommorow; however i want to ask a question: If i ask for a new hub just to confirm that if the fault is to do with my equipment or Openreach, will they send one out free of charge? If not i will purchase a Hub 5 or hub 4 of ebay or try and find one local. The reason i want a new hub is so that an engineer won't come round and slap us with a call out charge. Like anyother person in a situation like this i want to definitely make sure if the fault is on my end or Openreach's end.

With all that said im going on COD while the connection lasts.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 28

Do you still have a buzzing on your landline?

i doubt if you ask for a hub just to try and eliminated your existing one as faulty then you will not get a replacement. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 28

I still have a faint buzzing noise (faint as in you have to be in a quiet room with the phone right up to your ear with your other ear covered to hear it, if that makes sense). Online line check still insisting there's no fault and stating " it could be a problem in your home.", Despite me buying a CAT-5E DSL Lead, New microfilter me trying a spare hub, and most importantly there being that buzzing noise on the line (this is why im not sure about calling an engineer out and risking a charge.)
I don't fully understand your second line but im guessing your trying to say they wont send me a new hub to troubleshoot
I Can't buy a router yet as we are quite money strapped at the moment, however i might be going to a carboot sale in the next week or two so if i find a router there for a quid or 2 (which im bound too), then i will pick it up. I will also buy a landline corded phone in case the one i've got is throwing the buzzing noise on the line.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 28

The online test cannot detect noise on your phone line. If when connected to the test socket with a corded phone preferably you can hear anything other than the announcements when you do the quiet line test then you have a line fault not  a broadband one.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 28

so why can't the online test detect faults then? if and when i do a live chat, will the person chatting to me run a line test on his end and detect noise?
0 Ratings