cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 28

Re: Why did my broadband randomly cut out on 2 occasions?

I have just learned that Bt are making "Network improvements" and therefore broadband services can be disrupted. Can you or someone else tell me how long these improvements have been going on?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 28

Have a look at the very first post on the BT Fibre broadband forum

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 28

Folk said "The window for these improvements will typically take place Monday to Friday between Midnight and 6:00 AM."

So does this mean beacause my broadband cutout in the evening (i think at about quarter to 8 that there is most likely a line fault?

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 28

See messages 4 & 9 in this thread.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 28

So i am trying to do a live chat here but when i search it, the closest thing i get is "BT Chat service has moved" and i can't find where it is now. Could you please provide me a link to the live chat page please. I only want to phone them as a last resort as most of the time, im on hold for ages and can't fully understand what the person on the other end is saying etc

Another thing, i've noticed the buzz on the line can sometimes be quiet and sometimes be louder. i have disconnected the phone incase it is that so if the broadband cuts out, then im 99.9% sure its a line fault given i've tried another hub. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 28

I do not think live chat is working.

Its unlikely to be the phone causing the buzz on the line, but it will be the buzz that is causing the disconnects.

The ADSL microfilter is fine. All the microfilter does is to stop the broadband signal getting into the phone.

Its usually best to run the line test by logging into MyBT using mobile data on a smartphone, because the line test disconnects your main  broadband connection during the test, so that is why its stuck at 99%.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 28

When i run the line test using broadband, it always completes saying that theres no fault on the line. It never gets stuck at 99%.
I plugged the phone straight into the test socket with the router and filter unplugged and buzz noise is still present.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 28

@Achildishperson12 wrote:
When i run the line test using broadband, it always completes saying that theres no fault on the line. It never gets stuck at 99%.
I plugged the phone straight into the test socket with the router and filter unplugged and buzz noise is still present.

How load is the buzz, would it interfere with a phone conversation?

The BT Line tester is quite basic, and only runs simple tests to detect disconnections or stray voltages or earths on the line.

Buzzing can be due to an unbalanced line or a bridge tap somewhere. The broadband will try and compensate for this, but if its really bad, or intermittent, it will cause the line to drop and re-connect.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 28

Sometimes it can be quiet so you need to be in a silent room to hear it and other times it can be loud. It isn't bad to the point where it affects phone conversations.
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 28

Sounds like some form of electrical interference, its going to be difficult to locate, but would not be even investigated by Openreach, if only two disconnections.

0 Ratings