cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 28

Re: Why did my broadband randomly cut out on 2 occasions?

It hasn't just been 2 disconnects, it has disconnected multiple time including a few mins ago from me typing this.

So to cut a long story short, my broadband which im paying for keeps cutting out every 1 or 2 days and openreach wont do anything?
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 28

you need to report a phone fault from what you describe

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 23 of 28

I assume that the lights on the home hub change colour?

As its doing it on a regular basis now, then check your phone line for noise. If its quiet, then whatever is causing the disconnections is elsewhere in the higher frequency range.

Unfortunately, FTTC will be more susceptible to interference, because of its wide frequency utilisation, compared to ADSL.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 28

I will do that later on in the week then. I had also powered down my whole house through the main switch on the fuse box in case any of my appliances were causing 'Rein' and noise was still there. There is also quite alot of dirt on the back of my master socket, which is obviously because there has never been a front cover over it (which has allowed said dirt into it) apart from where i hard wired an extension to my bedroom but that has since been removed.
I have attached a photo of what i mean. Sorry for the bad picture quality.Optimized-phone socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 28

as mentioned before, there is a buzz. So this is what is causing the drop outs right??
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 28

@Achildishperson12 wrote:
as mentioned before, there is a buzz. So this is what is causing the drop outs right??

Almost certain, as the buzz would only be the part of the fault that is affecting the audio band, so there is likely to be an issue at higher frequencies. The Openreach broadband engineer do have test equipment that can detect this. 

It usually caused by line unbalance, that the BT line test cannot detect. This can result in noise being induced from other adjacent cable pairs.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 28

Hi, may you please fill me on what audio bands mean in telephone networks? (unless that was just a typo for broadband). And what do higher frequencies mean?
0 Ratings
Message 28 of 28

@Achildishperson12 wrote:
Hi, may you please fill me on what audio bands mean in telephone networks? (unless that was just a typo for broadband). And what do higher frequencies mean?

Audio is the part you can hear on your phone, and are below 25KHz and are not used for broadband. Other noise and interference would not be audible as its above that range.

As you can see from the picture below, your broadband extends to high frequencies, so there is a lot of potential for interference pickup. Yours would be the VDSL spectrum.

adsl vdsl spectrum.jpg

0 Ratings