cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bextonian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Why does BT speed test assume I have a broadband fault?

Go to solution

I recently upgraded to fibre broadband and obviously want to monitor the speeds I am getting. It would appear that the speeds given by Hub Manager under Connection Status are not constantly updated but only seem to change if the hub is restarted. I therefore tried Hub Manager's Performance Test and that gave me the data that I wanted. That was a few days ago but when I tried it again today it didn't do the test but said I had reported a broadband fault on the day I did that first test! I can't find any way of doing another speed test. Can anyone please answer the following questions for me :-

1. Why does a Hub Manager speed test generate a fault report?

2. How do I get rid of that spurious fault report?

3. How can I do speed tests as and when required?

Thanks for reading this. I hope someone can answer these questions for me.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Why does BT speed test assume I have a broadband fault?

Go to solution

You can perform a speed test HERE at any time.

Don't worry about the fault report it will most likely be closed in a couple of days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Can you use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Bextonian wrote:

I recently upgraded to fibre broadband and obviously want to monitor the speeds I am getting. It would appear that the speeds given by Hub Manager under Connection Status are not constantly updated but only seem to change if the hub is restarted. I therefore tried Hub Manager's Performance Test and that gave me the data that I wanted. That was a few days ago but when I tried it again today it didn't do the test but said I had reported a broadband fault on the day I did that first test! I can't find any way of doing another speed test. Can anyone please answer the following questions for me :-

1. Why does a Hub Manager speed test generate a fault report? It is designed to do that

2. How do I get rid of that spurious fault report? You cannot

3. How can I do speed tests as and when required  Use the link posted

0 Ratings
Bextonian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks John46. Results as requested.

BTW Test Results.JPG

0 Ratings
Bextonian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

After posting the above results I checked the Hub Manager status. It gives a download of 29.13 and an upload of 6.53. Why the difference?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Overheads.

0 Ratings
Bextonian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks pippincp and john46 for your comments. Any futher comments john46 on my screen shot of the test and diagnostics that you requested? I still fail to understand BT's logic in designing a system (Hub Manager) that assumes you've got a fault just because you've run a speed test. To me a speed test is a monitoring tool and not a diagnostic tool. It's what most people would want to do after upgrading to fibre broadband.

I shall close this thread tomorrow if there are no further comments. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
The speedtest in the hub manager is part of the BT.com fault finding process if you want to use a speedtest just use the link I posted earlier or any other well known speedtest found by a web search
0 Ratings
Bextonian
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

The speed test you pointed me to is now in my favourites, so thanks again john46. I shall now close this thread.