cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scousesnail
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Why does my Infinity date keep getting put back

Hi I am wondering if somebody can tell me why my Infinity due date kees getting put back.  I was originally told it would be in my area last year, then by Sept 2013, then the end of the year, then Feb/Mar 2014 then The end of Mar then low and behold today it is beween Mar to June 2014. 

I can understand some delays but the variation of these dates is ridiculous I feel BT are picking dates out of the air to stop customers moving elswhere.  I am relly fed up waiting and being strung along with ficticious dates and promises. 

I have seen engineers working in the Bt boxes in my area for many months.

As for signing up for information on Infinity from BT that is a Joke I signed up for that 2 years ag and have so far had not one single bit of information of any kind from them.  I would have expected some feedback on how well the roll out is going etc to encourage potential customers of the benefits etc.  very very poor customer service on this front I feel

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Why does my Infinity date keep getting put back

This is a BT Retail residential customer to customer forum. The problem of dates changing is an Openreach responsibility and not BT Retail.

There are various reasons for this to happen such as planning permission for cabinets, power supplies and commercial reasons.

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So in short, you just need to keep checking to see if your cabinet has been up graded.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Semmy
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hang in there matey, it does happen.

My "going live" date was originally Sep - Dec '11.

It kept slipping in 3 month blocks to finally read Apr - Jun '14

It was finally installed yesterday!

A useful site to check for any pending works is www.roadworks.org as this should list most planned works by Openreach.

Make sure you select works due in the next 12 months for an indication of when the works at your local cabinet might be carried out.

0 Ratings
scousesnail
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the info I think you where waiting as long as I have nice to hear you have finally got it installed. My main gripe is the fact that they should have had a much better timescale and much much better feedback to interested customers. to keep customers hanging on and continually changing timescales withou feedback is deplorable from a customer point of view especially when the state that they will keep you informed.

I was interested to see if mine was an iscolated area or wether it has been widespread

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

The Fibre rollout is being done Openreach on behalf of all ISP's not just BT Retail your ISP changing providers would have no effect as they all have the same waiting time as they all use the same Openreach infrastructure for their fibre products 

this link gives the current status of fibre in your area 
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

0 Ratings
scousesnail
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

your point about switching providers has no bearing on my issues as with BT infinity I would have access to HD as well as sports were now they only able to provide one or the other not both ( HD via Youview but not sport or old BT vision, SPORT BUT no HD but if I changed to SKY for example I would have access to both.
I have an expensive HD TV and had so for a few years but am unable to get the benefit of my love of sports unless I opt for Sky which will provide me with both. Had BT not been so economical with the truth on when I should get Infinity or kept me better informed I could have made a more informed choice on what would serve me best
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

BT can only give the dates they are given just the same as any other ISP only Openreach know the reasons for delays in your area and there are many different reasons that can cause the upgrade from being completed these are just a few of them Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet.
Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service.
Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
So, even though you may be within an enabled exchange area, it's possible that your particular line may not be able to have BT Infinity yet. also blocked and collapsed cable ducts which need street works licences to be obtained to allow road and pavement closures also there have been many delays caused by local power companies not being able to supply mains power to the fibre cabinet the rollout is not a simple project it is a very complex operation
0 Ratings
scousesnail
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Thank you everybody for the info provided I understand the complexities in rolling the new system out but I think my issue is rather aimed at the lack of information provided by BT.  There has been non whatsoever provided to update me so why are they asking people to sign up to be kept updated if they are not providing any updates.  The only info I have been getting is when I get around the date they have stated I check myself only to find the date has yet again been put back.

I think I will contact BT directly to complain

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

as explained already BT can only update people when they are given the information by Openreach BT cannot help you neither can any other ISP as it is business sensitive information
0 Ratings
scousesnail
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

BT can update the customer as they DO have the projected information as they update the estimated availability dates but they do not relay that information back to the customers who have signed up to be kept informed. My point is that information is available so if BT have gone to the bother of asking customers if they want to be kept informed then they should be doing just that and not completely ignoring the many customers that have taken an interest.
0 Ratings