cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

Why does my external IP address keep changing daily?

Hi, I’m curious as to why my external IP address seems to be changing almost on a daily basis? What is it that BT does most days (usually late at night/early hours) that causes this? Some kind of daily line test? To be honest in the several years I’ve had Infinity it’s always been an issue. Sometimes it’ll go weeks without changing or I’ll get a run where it happens every few days. There have been times when it’s changed daily and seemed to stop doing it after a while. But lately it’s been a daily occurrence and i would be keen to know why BT keeps changing it. I have a NAS drive and a webcam that I often access externally via my phone. The apps I use necessitate that I know the external IP so by it keep changing it gets a little annoying. I know I can get something kind of DNS tracker but I’m more interested in why the IP is not staying the same for longer periods of time. Checking my netgear router logs I see one very brief internet disconnect and reconnect of a few seconds where the IP changes. You wouldn’t even notice if you were using the internet it’s so brief. My IP profile remains consistent in the mid to late 50s for download speed and my upload is always around 11/12. I’m sure if there was a line problem that would plummet. So why is BT doing something externally to cause this IP change to happen so often?

regards

Wayne

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
step0011
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why does my external IP address keep changing daily?

I'm sure someone's going to ask you to check your routers stats via http://192.168.1.254 -> advanced settings -> technical log.

It may save some time to have a screenshot of that posted for when someone comes along later.

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Thanks, I would do but I don’t use a hub. I use an openreach modem / netgear router combo. As far as I am aware there is no way to retrieve the stats other than to post the netgear log but all that says is ‘internet disconnect at xxx time’ and about thirty secs later “internet connected xxx time’ with new external IP showing
0 Ratings
step0011
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Ah ok, it may be with checking how long your service uptime has been, what your line stats are (signal to noise and attenuation) may shine a light on the problem, it could be the exchange picking up on something and making tweaks to your service, that may reset your connection and give you a new IP.
I have a Nas myself and understand it's frustrating when the IP keeps changing, what Nas do you have?
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 12

The IP address change is due to the disconnects. Line noise is the biggest cause of disconnects. Do a quiet line test, best with corded phone. 17070 option 2.

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

Thanks. I have a WD my book live NAS. It’s pretty good and has served me well. OK. Will try that test again but when this happened before it was deathly quiet. I wonder why it’s always overnight but never at a consistent time. As if BT does something externally. Some kind of daily task
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

BT do not issue static IP addresses to residential customers so your IP address will change whenever there is a disconnect or when BT decide to change it which can be frequently.

This will as you know cause problems if you need to access a camera or NAS externally.

I appreciated that you want to know why the IP address is changing more frequently but even if you find out why  you would be best to sign up to an IP service such as No-IP which will allow to to access those devices even when your IP address changes.  

0 Ratings
step0011
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Most NAS solutions have the ability to utilise a DNS tunnel, with one of these you can point an URL towards your Nas, off top of my head DYNDNS, freedns, changeip.com, this would offer a solution of sorts to the IP swapping but understand they have limitations.
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

I’ve left it a few days and this continues to change daily. Always just the once and always very late night / early morning. Suspect it’s not the connection dropping but BT playing around externally. But it’s becoming very frustrating. I guess I’ll try something like no-ip but I don’t really understand how this works. I don’t use a hub, I use a netgear router. I don’t believe there is anything in its settings to add this free DNS solution or does one not necessarily have to put settings in the router?

EDIT there is a dynamic dns setting in the router settings but it is a drop down and only allows selection of dyndns.org and that’s it’s . Then gaps for host name, password etc. But if I browse to dyndns.org that web address is not correct anymore. So I guess one cannot use it with my router
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

If you go onto the web sites of the companies such as No-IP and look through their support pages you will see what is involved in using the service and how to set it up.

0 Ratings