cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Why don't other providers have full fibre?

I left Virgin 16 months ago after being with them for ages. I joined BT to get on the new ultrafast FTTP full fibre network that had recently sprung up round here.

I signed up to Fibre 2 74mb service and duly received the new line install from Openreach and over the subsequent months ignored various offers to upgrade to higher speeds up to 900mb. 

I'm nearing the end of my contract and BT's renewal prices are daft. However, when I try quotes from other providers that ostensibly do provide ultrafast full fibre they tell me it's not available at my address. I'm puzzled how I can be hooked up to the FTTP network by Openreach, be a BT customer for 16 months and have the option of re-contracting at much higher speeds (and much much higher price!) with BT..... but.... ALL other providers say I'm not on the ultrafast network and can only offer piddly speeds in the 15-60mb range.

I feel that I'm trapped with BT - surely this isn't right? Can anyone explain what's happening here and any advice where to turn to get things resolved or unravelled?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Why don't other providers have full fibre?

Which Providers have you tried, there’s a list on the Openreach website that sell their FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Vodafone, Shell, Sky..... All of which advertise 900mb as a possibility, however not for my address. I even went as far as calling Shell to ask why their 290mb service was not available but couldn't get anything beyond it's not available at your address.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Could be an address matching issue between them and Openreach

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Enter your phone number and post results. Remember delete number 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 13

I'll try and attach screengrab below....

One thing, my line install was convoluted. I ended up with 2 lines, one for broadband and a few weeks later one for the phone line. I'm beginning to think any provider who checks my phone number will possibly be seeing a line not connected to the FTTP network.

Broadband.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

aś you can see from the checker results you have FTTP available to you on the phone number used for the checker. You shoul due able to get FTTP from any ISP who provides the service 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 13

I just put a neighbour's address in Vodafone Speed Checker and they can get 900mb.

When I put my address in (without quoting a phone number) it says 60mb.

There's clearly something wrong with the way my install is showing on their records/files.

I'll have to raise this with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Pointless raising it with BT, it has nothing to do with them.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Does  the vodaphone speed checker check for openreach FTTP or vodaphone gigafast which is something different

0 Ratings