Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grumpy12
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Why hasn't my line been enabled?

Go to solution

Just done a check on the BTW checker to see when I will be able to get Fibre Broadband. It confirms that Fibre Multicast is now available but nothing about when Fibre Broadband(FTTC) will be available. This seems very strange as I was on an EO line but then in the New Year my line along with others in the village were transferred to a new cabinet (PCP12) outside the exchange in Mevagissey Cornwall (WWMEVA). 
I have checked other lines on this cabinet and find that those in the centre of the village are now able to order FTTC but those 5 minutes walk away,including mine,are unable to and no availability date is given. I have emailed OR and Superfast Cornwall regarding this and haven't had any reply yet (OR 5 weeks ago).

Anybody got any ideas why this may be?

Thanks Grumpy 12

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Why hasn't my line been enabled?

Go to solution
it is possible that you may be to far from the cabinet to receive Fibre service all you can do is wait i am afraid
0 Ratings
grumpy12
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

According to the BE user group forum(BRAS checker) the recorded BT line length is 282 metres and by road to the exchange is around 800 metres. I am currently on ADSL2+ and get around 16 Mbps down and 1Mbps up and so I don't think it is the line length. Properties nearer to the cab than me are also in the same boat.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
In that case it sounds like the cabinet has not yet been enabled all you can do is wait
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

The BTW  checker has been inconsistent in your area. Cabinet 10 which is in Gorran Haven and is now active did go through a phase since last December of having an activation date which was then passed by but the checker then didn't show any FTTC detail until a new activation date appeared. This was fortnightly occurrence so you may need to check daily.

Doing a postcode check for a property that has just been listed for sale in Meva shows that Cabinet 12 is enabled. The property is in Church St

0 Ratings
grumpy12
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Had a reply from Superfast Cornwall ;

Hi George, according to the latest schedule we've received, enablement of cabinet 12 is fairly imminent. These new cabinets that replace exchange-only lines aren't as straightforward as regular FTTC cabinets, so we can't give any upfront confirmation of which premises will be able to order when. This particular fibre solution is entirely new so a few connectivity vagaries are to be expected - please bear with us while we try to communicate this as best as we can.
Regards, Mark

I did reply that cab12 was live and that only lines in the centre of the village were able to order fibre broadband. I also did confirm to him that Par exchange(WWPAR) was having the same issue with ex EO lines on a new PCP.

Anyway will probably have to wait and see what happens and keep checking the BTW checker!

0 Ratings
grumpy12
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Just an update.I have had an email from OR confirming that my line has now been enabled for fibre optic bb. I have used the BTW checker and it gives me estimated speeds of up to 26.5Mbps up and 5.4 Mbps down. This will give me another 10Mbps down and 4Mbps up if the estimations are correct. I have gone ahead and ordered BT Infinity as an upgrade to my existing BB package with BT (Total BB Option 2 with a 40GB allowance) without any extra charges save for a new 12 month contract. I may upgrade to unlimited if everything is OK!

0 Ratings