cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MYH
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Why is 52 Mb download speed now over 25% slower than my contract's guaranteed minimum of 27Mb?

Have I been too complacent by not checking my broadband download and upload speeds for over 4 months, because when I tested them today the download speed is over 25% slower than my contract's guaranteed minimum download speed and I can but wonder just how long this might have been the case?

I have submitted this compaint via BT's online complaint form:

At 06.25 this morning I carried out my first broadband speed test since 8th March 2018 using, as on previous occasions, the Think Broadband's speedtest facility, and I was amazed when I viewed the results of 19.9Mb download and 4.9 upload speeds.

So I carried out another speedtest at 06.28 and this returned very similar results of19.4 and 4.8 respectively.

Then I decided to test again, but using Firefox as my browser instead of Safari, and at 06.31 the results were speeds of 19.6 and 7.9 respectively.

My next step was to try a different speedtest provider and at 06.34 I used Broadband Speedchecker which delivered results of 19.76 and 8.29 respectively.

So then decided to try yet another speedtest provider and at 06.38 I used the Which? speedchecker which recorded results of 20.01 and 8.43 respectively.

As all but one of these speedtests showed download speeds of less than 20Mb I then signed into the BT website and used the BT Troubleshooter and Speed tester. This test is supposed to take between 1-2 minutes but, although it started at 06.44, there was still no results showing 6 minutes later.

So I then checked the Service Status for ***** ****** but the status was "You have no faults," and "Everything seems OK" was entered alongside "Broadband".

Everything is not OK, however, because my contract guarantees a minimum download speed of 27 Mb and I can but wonder just how long it has been below that threshold as these were my first speedtests for over 4 months.

During the period between 6th September 2017 and 8th March 2018 I carried out 11 speedtests, and the results varied between 38.9 and 50.3 for downloads and 4.3 and 8.4 for uploads, yet now my average download speed is only approximately 50% of the lowest figure previously recorded.

All of my speedtests, including today's, were carried out using my Mac Pro desktop computer with an ethernet connection.

On 8th March 2018 I did in fact carry out an additional speedtest using my iPad Pro with a wireless connection, and the results on that day were virtually identical - 41.2 and 7.3 on my Mac Pro and 41.3 and 7.4 on my iPad Pro.

Obviously the results of today's speedtests are completely unacceptable, being over 25% lower than my contract's guaranteed minimum download speed of 27Mb.

I have captured all but one of today's speedtest results (I omitted to capture the 06.31 Think Broadband test before moving on to the Broadband Speedchecker website), and can foward these as attachments to an email should you require verification of these speedtests.

My contract expires on 4th September 2018 and I had been satisfied with my broadband and homephone package, but today's revelations of such extremely lower than expected download speeds has made me wonder just how long this has been occurring and whether I should consider an alternative provider of fibre broadband for my next contract.

In the "What can we do to resolve your complaint box?" I entered:

Honour the contract and ensure that a minimum download speed of 27Mb is provided at all times!

After submitting my complaint, and just in case there was a problem with my Mac Pro desktop computer, I tested the speeds using my iPad Pro with its wireless connection and the speeds were 18.5Mb download and 7.5Mb upload.

So I have definitely been short-changed regarding my download speed and I find that totally unacceptable!

Has any other user of BT's 52Mb fibre broadband had the same problem? And, if so, was BT able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Why is 52 Mb download speed now over 25% slower than my contract's guaranteed minimum of 27M

The only speedtest result BT will consider is THIS one. It must be performed with a wired connection.

Can you post your connection stats.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log.

HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

Do a quiet line test 17070 option 2 best with corded phone. Any noise report a line fault on 151.

MYH
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Re: Why is 52 Mb download speed now over 25% slower than my contract's guaranteed minimum of 27M

Thank you @pippincp for your advice, and I used the link you provided to carry out the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, following the instructions thereon.

The results were 20.55 Mbps download speed and 8.11 Mbps upload speed, which were more or less in keeping with the figures I obtained early this morning.  This latest test was carried out with just Firefox active on my computer, whereas both Mail and Safari windows were open during my previous tests.

So I clicked on "Furtrher Diagnostics" to see what would that avenue would reveal.

The download and upload results were confirmed, but I was extremely disturbed and surprised to read this:

For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 14.79 Mbps - 21.13 Mbps.

This is in complete conflict with the email I received from BT on 21st August 2017 advising me that my broadband would start by midnight on 05 Sep 2017 and that:

How fast will it be?

We estimate your download speed will be between 30Mb and 40Mb, and your upload speed will be between 6Mb and 8Mb.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your broadband will be 27Mb.

My conclusion can only be that BT have violated the terms of my contract and that, sometime during the period since my  speedtest on 8th March 2018, my fibre broadband service has been altered from a 52 Mbps connection to the much slower 38 Mbps service.

How this could be done when I was promised a minimum guaranteed download speed of 27 Mbps for the duration of my 12 months contract is beyond me, and I will be referring this matter to Ofcom, because I consider this to be a severe breach of contract!

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

The first thing you need to establish is your own home environment isn't causing a problem, your router needs to be plugged into the master socket test port, and your checks done using a wired Ethernet connection,
Perhaps you can post the advanced router statistics, as more people connect to a fibre cabinet, cross talk can become an issue, so it's possible that your speed has been reduced due to this.
If there isn't a problem with your home environment and there isn't a line problem, then it's conceivable that your line is performing as well as it can, and although you could probably use the underperforming the minimum speed to be released from your contract if still within a minimum term, the fact is any provider using the same Openreach infrastructure will give the same speed, in which case , unless Virgin Media is available, swapping ISP won't in itself improve things
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

can you post stats from your router if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

the drop in connection speed is more likely due to your router dropping conenction often during the peiod where you did not check stats resulting in higher noise margin and lower speed

check for line noise dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

the speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds not download speeds although I know that it says download speed it is qualified in notes/T&C and actually means connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 15

@imjolly I asked for that info over an hour ago but the OP seems to think there is such a thing as a fault free service.

Why he is so reluctant to supply the info requested I know not. Persuing a non existant breech of contract claim will not resolve his problem.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

@pippincp

just though I would try again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 15

Some further info for the OP re his contract.

• at least one engineer visit must be accepted if your line speed result from the BT Wholesale system speedtest* is below the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed
  • BT is allowed up to 28 days to resolve the fault

MYH
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Thanks for your advice @iniltous, and I have repeated the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test using the master socket test port on this occasion. All my speedtests have been been carried out using a wired ethernet connection, apart from one via wireless to myiPad Pro just to confirm that the problem was not limited to my Mac Pro desktop computer.

The results were 20.57 Mbps download and 8.10 Mbps upload.

Further Diagnostics stated "For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 15.11 Mbps - 21.58 Mbps".

These figures are more or less the same as when my router was not connected to the master socket test port.

I have one question, please: How/where do I obtain the advanced router statistics?

Unfortunately, I don't think that Virgin Media is available in my area, but I will ckeck to see because my BT contract expires soon.

0 Ratings
MYH
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Thank you @imjolly for your comments regarding connection speeds and download speeds.

In the light of your comments ,the statement I quoted previously from BT's email of  21 August 2017 was at the very least somewhat ambiguous in that respect.

The way it was worded I most certainly was expecting a minimum guaranteed download speed of 27 Mbps, and never even thought that I needed to substantiate it further in notes/T&C.

I changed from ADSL to fibre broadband because of that guaranteed minimum speed, and I will be much wiser when I start searching next month for a new broadband contract.

0 Ratings