cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Why is VDSL slower for neighbour on same FTTC cabinet?

Go to solution

My neighbour and I are both on Cab 4 on the Newburgh exchange - see the attached ADSL checker results and are both customers of BT Superfast Broadband.

Our detached properties are about 5 metres apart. 

He should get a max of  34Mbps Down and 6Mbps Up - in fact he gets much less, and not much more than herwould on ADSL. 

I get a real world of 70 to 66 Mbps Down and 18 Mbps Up. I can conform this as I participate in the SamKnows project and have their "white box" installed. 

I am on an overhead copper line off a newrby pole but his line comes in underground from street ducting.

So my guess is that his copper route from the FTTC cab is considerably longer than mine - about double in fact to allow for the attentuation on his line. 

Would this be the case?

How would he go about getting his line off the same pole as myself?

JohnScreen Shot 2018-07-31 at 09.23.22.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-31 at 09.22.06.png

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why is VDSL slower for neighbour on same FTTC cabinet?

Go to solution

as you can see no 2 lines are the same and in this case even more so  both on same cab but supplied to your home differently.  

however you are both within your estimated range from dslchecker so your ISP BT Retail are no going to help

openreach will not change redirect your line just to improve the broadband speed - This has been covered on numerous occasions on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the position re ISP BT Retail and BT Openreach.

I will pass this inforamtion on to my neighbour.

It really goes to show what a poor design choice FTTC was when BT Openreach's copper network has been installed in such a higgledy-piggeldy manner over the years. In our case two properties built at around the same time are served by entirely different copper paths from the same cabinet!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

when they were installed they were and still are primarily intended for phone use

sooner everyone gets FTTP the better but sadly long way off yet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings