cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BinarySpeaking
Beginner
Message 21 of 24

Re: Why is my upload so poor (1.5mb) ?

Many years ago, when we first got the service we were having difficulties. An engineer came out and put a new cable from the telegraph pole to the house, he said there was a dry joint on the pole. At the same time he moved the master socket from the hallway downstairs to the loft space where the pole cable enters the house. The master socket is now about 7ft in the air and I don’t feel completely comfortable removing the cover. Not sure even if I have a filter anymore.

Did the quiet sound test... there was a low almost imperceptible background hum... bit like the old days with shared party lines when you could hear faintly the other parties dial tone... am guessing though I was looking for a static noise though 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 24

Looking for any noise. Dull hum is normal using cordless phone but should be silent with corded

if you are using an extension socket then that is certainly not helping your connection and trying master and preferably test socket will give the best possible connection. Did you not get a filter when your got the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
BinarySpeaking
Beginner
Message 23 of 24

As you can now see it's a weird setup. . . when I ran the landline Quiet Test I was using a corded phone. . . it was not cordless.IMG_0414-2.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 24

I can't believe an openreach put your master socket in such an out of the way place  normally they put a small junction box to conenct the dropwire to the internal wiring and master is then somewhere more convenient

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings