cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Why is next doors internet faster than mine?

Hi all.

Had a look at at the wholesale checker and we’re on the same exchange and cabinet.

Our speed is about 22-24, which is not good enough for 4K 😭09B0C1CD-D7E1-4C36-811F-5685BD3FC072.jpegDAB63403-7E75-4238-B1FE-BD8CEDBAB8F6.jpeg

Anyone I can talk to to get the same?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Why is next doors internet faster than mine?

They’re just Estimated Speed Ranges and not indicative of the speeds they actually get.

If they are getting those speeds though the reasons could be because of a number of factors. 

Although off the same PCP you may not be on the same DP and the cables for both have a different cable gauge and follow completely different routes to the cab, i.e. one could be a lot longer than the other.

Also could be down to internal factors with say your wiring. You could have 56mbps coming in at the NTE but lose 20+mbps over an extension cable.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

It’s annoying, still would love openreach to have a look, as I’m stuck with this as Virgin isn’t on this street.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

if your connection speed is within your expected range I doubt openreach or BT will be interested

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

But the expected range is lower than my neighbour.  That’s my issue.  I wouldn’t mind if it was the other end.... but it’s next door.

Seems the only way to get faster internet, is to move then (and check that it’s in a Virgin connected street)

cheers

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

the point is you are getting a speed within expected range 

as @Starwire  pointed out there could be many reasons why you cannot get the same speed 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings