cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Why other providers not allowed in my area?

Go to solution

I've got a house in a new built estate and due to some awkward agreement made between BT and the developer (?!, not with me) no other providers are allowed in the area. That wouldn't be the biggest problem but I pay £53 for Fiber 1 (50Mbps download, 10Mbps upload) and other BT customers are allowed  to get Fiber 2 (67Mbps) for only £30. But because I'm already a customer the only better package I can get is for £68. 

So whilst BT is denying other providers in the area, is using its monopoly to extort current customers. This for sure does not sound legal and I hope is not but I would like to know BT's point of view on this.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Why other providers not allowed in my area?

Go to solution

There is no monopoly or exclusive agreement with BT, you live in a new build estate and the developer asked Openreach to install services, Virgin Media have their own network which is why they are not an option.
The technology used would be FTTP (Fibre to the premises), which is the latest, it just happens that of the 600+ communication providers Openreach serve, only a tiny fraction offer FTTP.

That is not a monopoly, that's other providers not moving with the times, there are some but this forum prevents promoting non-BT services, so you'll have to do your own homework or negotiate with BT for a competitive price.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

Go to solution

As has been stated. Openreach offer FTTP to all the UK Internet Providers but if you check who the providers that have chosen to offer FTTP to its customers there are very few and most of the major providers have for some reason chosen not to provide it.

I suspect if it was not for BT offering it you would have no FTTP in your area even although it is available to all the ISPs.

See Openreach's list of provider that have decided to offer it, albeit not in every area.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Go to solution

On ‘some’ New Build Sites BT have agreed to bear the full brunt of Network Build Costs to deploy FTTP so as part of the agreement they have exclusivity for the first 12 months, maybe longer in order to make their money back, which is fair enough. Other Businesses make Exclusivity Deals all the time and no one complains.

As said it’s only some New Builds I’ve seen this on, usually Social Housing/Affordable Homes Estates. 

I’d hazard a guess BT pay the full cost so the Developer and Local Council and Housing Association can bring costs down themselves.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

Go to solution

@trappedcustomerwrote:

I've got a house in a new built estate and due to some awkward agreement made between BT and the developer (?!, not with me) no other providers are allowed in the area. That wouldn't be the biggest problem but I pay £53 for Fiber 1 (50Mbps download, 10Mbps upload) and other BT customers are allowed  to get Fiber 2 (67Mbps) for only £30. But because I'm already a customer the only better package I can get is for £68.

So whilst BT is denying other providers in the area, is using its monopoly to extort current customers. This for sure does not sound legal and I hope is not but I would like to know BT's point of view on this.

Where did you find that price? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Go to solution

You are incorrect in so many ways, first ‘BT’ didn’t provide the FTTP network into your new build home Openreach did, Openreach do not have any exclusive deals with BT Consumer anywhere ( they are not allowed to even if they wanted to ), there are more company’s using OR FTTP than just BT.

If you want to use some of the big budget brands, ask they why they don’t use OR FTTP , there is nothing stopping them.

Chances are there was no deal as such between OR and the developer, if others had wanted to install their network at the same time, there was nothing stopping then, OR do not insist on exclusivity, but if other company’s didn’t get into the site , that’s up to them...for what is worth OR provide FTTP to the developer for free, perhaps others don’t make an equally generous offer

Some developers provide their own FTTP (Persimmon and OFNL for one ) and if you lived in one of their homes you would be subject to their monopoly .

If VM are so much cheaper you could ask them why they don’t provide in your area, there is nothing and wasn’t anything stopping them

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Go to solution

There has been a few reports of this previously, in any case it's the developer who struck the deal so any gripes should really be with them

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

Go to solution

No, it is correct. On some New Sites BT do have exclusivity.

I didn’t believe it at first but found out it was true.

Don't forget, the Access Network is not owned by Openreach. It’s still owned by the BT Group. Openreach are merely the Company that build/maintain it for them.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 23

Go to solution

Prices I took from their respective websites and rounded up. They usually have these ending in .9x 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

Go to solution

Asked other providers before posting this, is not like I just came up with it out of the blue

0 Ratings