cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WatkinsC
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Why?

Afternoon. I am hoping that someone can answer a question for me.

We have had a BT installation last Friday, it did not go to plan. Without going into all the in and outs what they said we could have did not prove to be so, end result it did not go ahead and reverted to previous supplier having negotiated new rate. Complete waste fo a days holiday for install but that is a seperate issue.

BT had our landline number ported/transferred to them from our previous supplier. BT got a line up and running at our house on the install day, the intention was that our number would port over to it. Control of our number is with BT. BT are now saying it has to take 14 days to give it back! Thus i am now left with no working landline as the line BT connected is dissconected!

My question. I assume my number does not, at 14 days, grow wings and fly from BT back to where it needs to be, someone somewhere must do somethign be it a click of a button or whatever. This beign so why on earth can the button not be clicked now rather than waiting 14 days and inconvenience a customer who has been let down.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Why?

Welcome to this user forum.

Its an Ofcom ruling, to reduce the incidence of "slamming", where another provider tries to take over your service. Its to give people time to cancel any takeover.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
WatkinsC
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I understand what you say BUT in circumstances where it comes about as a new supplier (BT) have failed to deliver the contract on day 1, and thus  the install was terminated there must be a manual way of send the number back from whence it came, surely. Otherwise the customer (me) is left without a phone

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

That is the way it is. BT Retail, like all Service Providers, have to abide by these rules.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33223724

This happens many times, where people change their mind at the last moment, usually when they get a better offer from their original supplier. Sometimes they can lose their phone number altogether as a result.

Delayed installations can happen with all providers, but are usually resolved within a few days, otherwise compensation could be claimed. Its Openreach that would have provided your service, and would normally sort out any issues quickly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

There is no reason your current supplier can't give you a number until your old one is ported back. This is something you'll have to take up with them.

0 Ratings
WatkinsC
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thank you again.

No need to reply but it is not a case that they have delayed or will put it right in time, it is simply that they cannot deliver what they said they could and thus i need to go back to where i started. Its a broadband issue, attracted to the ultra fast service as it matched what i had (speed) but at a better price. Online it says i can have it, phoned and checked and was told without fail i could have it so went ahead porting number so it was a phone line plus ultra fast to be provided. On installation day it turrns out i cannot have ultra fast so despite an existing line being made live they did not connect the wifi and accepted that they could not proceed. They have now terminated the line they made active, albeit my number was never applied to it.

0 Ratings
WatkinsC
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

They are happy to do so for a fee!
0 Ratings