cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Wifi 6 (802.11ax) And BT Home Hubs????

I have fibre to home broadband and I am on the 900 connection. Obviously wired to the hub the connection can get to 1Gb, however, due to the Smart Hub 2, as it doesn't have 802.11ax protocols, I can not get wifi 6 connection speeds with my wifi 6 enabled hardware?

Nearly all my computing hardware is wifi 6 enabled, so I am connected with the only available highest smart hub connection protocols, which is wifi 5, meaning I am not getting the full speeds via wifi. 

When will BT introduce a wifi 6 (802.11ax) enabled smart hub, to enable people to get the most out of their high speed connections??

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Wifi 6 (802.11ax) And BT Home Hubs????

I guess when they think it is commercially viable to spend the money doing so for the currently tiny proportion of the customer base that require it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi  thanks for the reply. 

Typical BT, not thinking ahead. You would have thought, that they would have had the full package for fibre to home which would have included a smart hub with the latest WiFi protocols!? I wonder how many customers are asking when are they going to get a hub out, that takes full advantage of their connection speeds?? 🤔

So we're probably looking at a few years then ?? 🤔 

I just don't want to go and buy a third party router and have another thing clutering the place up......I suppose I could just replace the hub with something else, but what, I have no idea?

Thanks for the reply anyway, 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

There are rumours of a WiFi 6  SH3 later this year.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@pippincp  

There are rumours of a WiFi 6  SH3 later this year.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

@bomberh 

There was rumours I won the lottery too, sadly that never happened..🤣

Third party routers..... Asus RT-AX (WiFi-6) routers all are doing well with the 900 package as I have found out. 🙂

Asus RT-AX88U with my iPhone 11 Pro Max 

Ethernet wired via CAT-6 to my Gigabyte Laptop with a Killer WiFi-6 AX1650 network card fitted. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for the information. The AX88U looks like a great bit of kit. I take it, this would fully replace the Smart Hub 2? I have a slight problem with the size of the AX88U as it lays flat. My stuff is on a floating shelf as there is no room in the hall and only one set of plugs. Its the way the house was built, with the plug sockets!

Anyway, It has to stay where it is, as the fibre to house, comes into the hall too. Is there an equivalent ASUS router that is slightly smaller that stands up, if you know what I mean?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

It would replace the Hub unless you use Digital Voice, in which case the hub is required.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@bomberh  not sure on the size of the other models but presume the dimensions are slightly smaller.

I can highly recommend the RT-AX88U for obvious reasons.... It works full speed every time superb. 🙂

Why struggle when you don't have to. 😉

router speedtest.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

I keep on hearing various rumours about BT providing a WiFi 6 hub, maybe even as early as March this year. However, I'm fed up with getting massive speeds into my SmartHub 2 (I have FTTP), but only moderate speeds to my devices, as the SH2 is limited to WiFi 5. I've only just entered into a new contract with BT, so I assume that I can't just buy a WiFi 6 enabled router and hook it up? I presume I can't do this until my contract with BT is up? Can anybody confirm this?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

You can purchase a third party router anytime you like and just use it.

I did just that and never looked back.

(232) WiFi-6 just gets better. Asus RT-AX88U & iPhone 11 Pro Max - YouTube