cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 22

Re: Wifi stable for months, now dropping out twice a day

Can I ask a question of the various gurus on here - with regard to my connection dropping - I am assuming the line attenuation of 35 and 17 respectively and the snr margins of 8.9 and 5.9 respectively are related to the connection and quality of signal/interference etc, rather than being related to the hub itself...isn't it? In other words, these things are independent on the router aren't they? If there's a problem showing up there, does this indicate a line issue rather than a router issue

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 23.14.40.jpgFor example - from 24 hours ago; it got worse after this

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 22

Can anyone answer my line attenuation and snr margin question ? Trying to rule in or out my router ...thanks
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 13 of 22

@Burmey wrote:

Can I ask a question of the various gurus on here - with regard to my connection dropping - I am assuming the line attenuation of 35 and 17 respectively and the snr margins of 8.9 and 5.9 respectively are related to the connection and quality of signal/interference etc, rather than being related to the hub itself...isn't it? In other words, these things are independent on the router aren't they? If there's a problem showing up there, does this indicate a line issue rather than a router issue

Screenshot 2019-05-22 at 23.14.40.jpgFor example - from 24 hours ago; it got worse after this

Yes.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 22

Ok thanks . So I do have a problem and my router doesn’t have to be consigned to the bin just yet!
0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 22

Hi

I've had good wifi over the weekend, but today the wifi is absolutely awful. The line hasn't dropped but I'm barely getting any 2.4ghz. Next door's wifi and speeds are bad again too and they've got an engineer coming to them on Thursday - is there any chance they can come to us both at the same time and holistically treat the problem rather than separately - when they get fixed we are worse and when oursis better, theirs seems worse. Something must be linked; can't be a coincidence. 

Should I be phoning t get an appointment - I was originally told by Patrick that I should wait until I heard back from him on Wednesday, but now I've had a text saying I need to book an engineer - which is it - I'm confused.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 16 of 22

Always heed what the mods say. Ignore anything else. If @PaddyB said he will get back then wait for him to do so.

0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 22

Thanks - it's just my next door neighbour phoned yesterday and they have an engineer coming on Thursday. I got a text after speaking to Patrick saying they need access to my property and so I need to book an engineer - hence my confusion. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Hi @Burmey 

Thanks for posting. I can see @StephanieG  has been in touch to arrange the engineer for you. We'll follow up after the visit to check how everything is.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 19 of 22

Hi @Burmey 

Good speaking with you there 🙂

As discussed, we'll keep an eye on your connection over the next couple of days and see how it goes, following the engineer visit today.

Thanks

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Burmey
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 22

Hi

Not sure whether anything has been fixed per se, but the engineer came and changed a socket . The wifi had stabilised already by the time he arrived, although from his stats that he showed me, he and I could see that my broadband has been a bid dodgy since end of March, particlarly bad around the time I posted here and he could see 7 drop outs one day. Again he could see it had calmed down in the last week. He thought someone could have sorted something at the exchange perhaps in the preceding week.

However, he did not reset the dlm, and I think I have been banded (capped) as my speeds haven't changed, up or down since 3 days ago - this just doesn't happen in this house - certainly never has before except when I was banded once before too. 

Any chance they can reset the dlm? I'm about 8 or 9 mbps down on what I was between last summer and March!

0 Ratings