cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauluk25
Message 1 of 5

Will a twisted pair copper connection be sufficient for Ultrafast Fibre Plus?

We've just bought ourselves a new house and we're having a little construction work done before we move in. The house is a good 35m away from the nearest road and we're having the entire driveway excavated and relaid as part of the works.

Our electrician has had a look at our existing broadband connection to the house and told us we currently have a twisted pair copper connection. We've looked at broadband contracts and BT shows we are in a location suitable for the Ultrafast Fibre Plus (with a speed range of 137Mb - 138Mb).

What I would really like to know is what kind of speeds can a twisted pair copper connection accomodate? Would the existing connection be sufficient for the Ultrafast Fibre (with a little bit of future proofing) or would it be worth upgrading the line now, while the driveway is already being worked on, to save any hassle a later date?

We haven't yet got a broadband provider as we did originally want to wait until we moved in. I imagine if we're required to update the connection at this point we may be required to take on the contract immediately after the works have taken place.

I'd appreciate any help or advice that can be offered.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Will a twisted pair copper connection be sufficient for Ultrafast Fibre Plus?

The network connection to your house would be the property of Openreach. As you are planning to make alterations, you would need to contact them first.

Try here https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/when-to-get-in-touch-with-openreach

They would be able to give you advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pauluk25
Message 3 of 5

Re: Will a twisted pair copper connection be sufficient for Ultrafast Fibre Plus?

Thanks Keith,

Appreciate the really quick reply. I'll look into OpenReach now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Ultrafast copper connections utilise whatever connection is existing at the property, twisted pair copper, a new cable isn't run. It will be twisted pair copper from the cabinet to the pole/underground DP in any case.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Everything up to and including the NTE is the property of the BT Group plc so you shouldn’t alter or change it.

Also as mentioned your line will be a twisted Copper pair from the MDF in the Exchange all the way to the NTE in your house, exactly what we’re you or your Sparky Dave planning on replacing it with? 🤔