cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
aldmunch
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Will this BT wiring have much effect on sync speeds?

Hi,

I have the below grey box outside my house, with what looks like pretty poor line splitting? One of the splits goes off to my master socket and I have no idea where the other goes, but is likely related to an old alarm system. The really old master socket is about 10m of wiring away from this box and I think that splits off to a second socket elsewhere.

IMG-0301

My question is, if I pay BT to get rid of all this and fit a new modern master socket directly through the wall behind the grey box and just disconnect everything else as I only really want one socket anyway - would that have a good chance of improving my sync speeds on Superfast2? Or would I just be wasting money?

If it's worth doing, what kind of cost would that work have?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Will this BT wiring have much effect on sync speeds?

It may not look pretty but that does not mean that it is not actually working correctly. It will cost at least the call out fee of £85 and there is no guarantee that anything will improve particularly if you don't know that there is actually a problem.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Will this BT wiring have much effect on sync speeds?

Star Wiring is one of the biggest killers of VDSL.

I’d get it removed if I were you. Unsure if you’d be charged or not though as the rules as to when people do and don’t get charged aren’t Black and White anymore and every CP seems to have their own way of working it so fudge knows?
0 Ratings