cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Windows speed is different from MacBook

Hi, I had Fibre 900 installed yesterday but have seen a variation in speed between Windows and MacBook (Mid 2012).

Both machines are connected with new ethernet cable directly to my Asus RT-AC86U. 

All default settings on the Mac and get advertised (and better) speeds:

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 17.12.50.pngScreenshot 2020-06-05 at 17.35.09.png

Windows 10 machine, MSI Tomahawk Z390 / Gigabit ethernet ports / I7-9700

I struggle to get above 200 Mbps download although upload is generally just under 100 Mbps. I have the latest drivers for Intel I219-V and Intel I211. I've changed jumbo packets to maximum and it didn't make any difference.

Speeds are no different with the SH2.

I've also tried an old Windows 10 laptop with gigabit port and speeds were worse than my Window 10 PC, this is to be expected given how old it is.

So through the process of elimination it has to be something in Windows which is stopping me from achieving speeds akin to the MacBook. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows speed is different from MacBook

1st thing I'd check is that your pc isn't actually connecting via WiFi. If it's definitely through the ethernet, check the specs for the network card in the pc and also search the internet for similar issues from other owners. Some (my wifes laptop for example) say one thing but deliver. It's supposed to have an all singing and dancing WiFi card but it barely gets over 7mbps on a 140mbps connection..
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the quick reply Nigel. It’s definitely connect to Ethernet, Wi-fi was disabled.

I know there’s many variables at play here. I guess I’ll just need to keep messing about with the W10 machine.

Message 4 of 5

Check on the MSI site for driver updates. Don't trust W10 to do it for you.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for all your replies.

Drivers were up-to-date but I did reinstall them to be sure.

After some digging around I think I've managed to make some progress, if not resolve my issue.

Problem was MSI Dragon Centre, chiefly the cFosSpeed LAN manager. After uninstalling Dragon Centre speeds are more consistent with the advertised speeds.

I'll continue to test over the coming days.

Many thanks.