Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sorilian
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Wireless Home Hub 3.0 connection gives very low speeds

Hi All,

I have had BT infinity installed since 11th December 2012 and have recently revamped my laptop and as such got round to connecting my laptop up wirelessly.  This became a hell of an issue, but after a phone call to BT and a guy taking over my screen to adjust some settings on the hub, managed to get it to connect the Laptop (there was no issue connecting my xbox 360 or phone wirelessly).

Now after all this I decided to check the speed on speedtest.net and I am only getting wireless connected speeds of 3-5mb, I have checked numerous times and this has not changed.  I also checked the speed my xbox is receiving wirelessly and this is also 3-5mb.

On discovering this I phoned BT again and advised them of this, as when my laptop is connected via Ethernet I am getting upto 48mb at times (probably as I am only a few 100 yards from the BT connection box).  I went through the settings in the hub again with the BT guy and advised him the only way my laptop connects wirelessly is if the security is set at WEP.  He tried various channels and used the BT speedtest site and I was still getting 3-5mb, unfortunately he had no further advice he could give.

So I am here to see if any one can shed some light on this issue?  I understand that a wireless connection will reduce the top speed I can obtain, but surely its got to be better than 3-5mb.  I had 3-6mb on my standard BT broadband, so I am slightly perturbed in paying for BT infinity if I can only get the speeds with it connected via Ethernet (which isn't going to happen with my Xbox). 

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kind regards 

Sorilian

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Wireless Home Hub 3.0 connection gives very low speeds

Is you wireless laptop using wireless 'N' or wireless 'G'?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 12

You say you re-vamped your laptop so I presume we can take it it is an old one.

Depending on how old you will not be on wirless N, most likely on wireless G but possibly on wireless b!

WEP encryption is so easy to hack it's laughable. (10 mins tops). The fact your laptop will only connect to WEP encryption shows it's age. All is not lost though.

Wireless N usb dongles are available at handy money (search the usual sites, ebay, amazon etc) and will give you much better throughput if you have to be on a wireless connection.

BT can't do anything for you as your laptop is not capable of the speeds ATM.

(BTW WPA/ WPA2 is not as safe as some think).

0 Ratings
Sorilian
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

Hi pippincp,

Thxs for the info, it is an old laptop.  It says the link speed is 54mbps, so i'm guessing i could do with the dongle.

What would be up with my Xbox then?  I can ethernet my Laptop easily, so no sweat if it cant be used wirelessly at good speeds.

Kind regards

Sorilian

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 12

@Sorilian wrote:

Hi pippincp,

Thxs for the info, it is an old laptop.  It says the link speed is 54mbps, so i'm guessing i could do with the dongle.

What would be up with my Xbox then?  I can ethernet my Laptop easily, so no sweat if it cant be used wirelessly at good speeds.

Kind regards

Sorilian

Because the link speed is 54mbps it is too slow for Infinity, you either need a new laptop or use it with a wired ethernet connection. For games consoles it is better to have a wired connection, you could always use a homeplug for your xbox.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 12

Link speed of 54Re: Wireless Home Hub 3.0 connection gives very low speeds

Link speed of 54Mbps would indicate a wireless g adapter but you would only ever expect to get less than half of that as actual throughput due to the overheads involved.

Do you have the latest drivers for your wireless adapter since the re-vamp?

I'm also going to assume you are running XP, if so you need to download and run TCPOptimiser ( a free app) from here.

Set your speed on the slider (what you were expecting) tick the box for modify all adapters and at the bottom the box for Optimal. Apply and restart your system.

You could also look at turning off the auto select channel in the hub and setting your own channel. Inssider will give you a view of the channels in use, pick the one which looks best (trial and error really) you can get InSSider from here.

Windows pre Vista were never designed for the speeds we get now. Although network cards, adapters etc will benefit from running the above, it is not 100% necessary as it is with XP.

With a driver update (don't depend on windows update) and the optimiser the speed should improve, unfortunately there are also many different things that can affect wireless connections so wired is always best.

Sorry, can't help you with the Xbox, never had one and know nothing about them or the system.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Sorilian
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Re: Link speed of 54Re: Wireless Home Hub 3.0 connection gives very low speeds

Hi Pippincp,

Thanks for the info, i have downloaded inSSIDer and my RSSI is -24 to -32 which i believe is pretty good (closer to 0 the better?).  Will flick through some channels to see if any changes.  Although it does indicate on the graph that the device is using channel bonding as it streches across to channel 4.  Something to tinker with.

I am on Windows Vista, will the TCPOptimiser link work with this version?

I have more details now, so will hunt down on some forums regarding the xbox.  The xbox is in the same room as the hub and only at most 12ft away, but i may try a home plug.

Kind regards

Sorilian

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 12

TCPOptimiser will benefit Vista and Win 7 just not as great an impact as with XP.

Yes with RSSI lower is better.

Re Xbox

Home plug is better than wireless, future proof by getting 500Mbps ( total throughput will only be 200-250Mbps after overheads. -ish)

0 Ratings
Sorilian
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Hi Pippincp,

Just so i understand these Wireless n adapters.

I have got a N150 Nano Wi-Fi USB dongle and have connected to my hub i believe, it only shows the rate as 54.0 mbps?  so is it not going to pick up any further or does it work as 2 connections with rates of 54.0 mbps in so doing stacking?

Kind regards

Sorilian

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 12

@Sorilian wrote:

Hi Pippincp,

Just so i understand these Wireless n adapters.

I have got a N150 Nano Wi-Fi USB dongle and have connected to my hub i believe, it only shows the rate as 54.0 mbps?  so is it not going to pick up any further or does it work as 2 connections with rates of 54.0 mbps in so doing stacking?

Kind regards

Sorilian

If it's like the one below, then you are not going to get a good speed out of it, as it's a very poor quality product because it is too small to get a good signal:

0 Ratings