Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 46

Work out line stats?

Hi all,

Could you help me work out my stats? 

Over the the last few days my download noise margin has gone from 6 to 4.9, does this mean that there is more noise on the line and if it continues to lower I could see a disconnect?

i have also noticed that the Smart Hub restarts itself every 2 weeks, could that affect the chances of any recoup of speed?

IMG_0452.PNG

0 Ratings
45 REPLIES 45
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 46

Re: Work out line stats?

@Stuartd wrote:

Hi all,

Could you help me work out my stats? 

Over the the last few days my download noise margin has gone from 6 to 4.9, does this mean that there is more noise on the line and if it continues to lower I could see a disconnect?

Yes and possibly.

i have also noticed that the Smart Hub restarts itself every 2 weeks, could that affect the chances of any recoup of speed?

Not really, DLM won't notice such infrequent disconnections.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 46

Thank you for the reply 🙂

Crosstalk or something like that affecting the noise? Has been the same up till now?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 46

Could be anything, could be crosstalk could be a line fault developing. Is your phone quiet on the quiet line test 17070?

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 46

I havent done the line test yet I am picking up a landline phone tomorrow as normally we do not use the line at all.

Where the line comes in, instead of being  from a pole it comes up from just outside the house and into the wall on a metal sheath, however at the top it the cover is damaged exposing the cable that comes into the house. Could this be causing a problem and how would I go about fixing this. We have recently moved it and this damage was already done.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 46

Possible, you could try reporting it as a fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 46

you will need Openreach to resolve that and the visit would be chargeable
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 46

Hmm, not sure about that if it is Openreach property that is the problem.

0 Ratings
Stuartd
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 46

Hi all,

I have fixed the cover by ordering a new one, they only cost around £2.50 so it wasn't exactly a costly fix, however it has not cured the issue. Last night my router did the 14 day reset and despite being connected the whole 14 days without dropping once my speed has lowered.

bt2.jpg

What seems to happen is the noise margin on the download drops to 4.x and then doesn't recover, I am expecting the same to happen again in this two week period and for the line to drop lower again. It started at at 76Mbps connection and now we are down to 65Mbps. If this router didn't reboot then I would imagine that my line would still be connected at 76Mbps for the most part as my line wasn't droppping.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 46

Post the results for your line from http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings