cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Would you upgrade ?

Go to solution

I wondered if you were me would you bother upgrading to FTTP.

Set up - 76mb Halo 1 - receive 70mb wifi through entire house on old hub even the xbox series x plays fine for what my 8 year old uses it for.

Now have smarthub 2 and FTTP tried to install but blockage under driveway - may take up to 3 months for them to come and fix it.

I am reading loads of stories on here about problems but I suppose anyone who is fine wouldn't post - I get that.

I was getting Fibre 100 installed which I imagine would push my wifi speeds faster than currently is at cost of £39.99 v my current £35.99.

I was actually thinking of calling up and due to the delays etc see if I can get a better package cheaper but im not sure I need it.   

Obviously at some point im going to need FTTP as it becomes the norm.  I was also thinking of looking into ASUS and Netgear routers.  Not sure where to start. 

I have the wee open reach box on my internal wall now as that's all the engineer could do so im thinking I may as well just wait for the driveway to be dug up.

Re the routers - it seems (with my basic knowledge) that SH2 isn't good enough to get the top speeds.   Seems to be doing a grand job of getting me 70 download 19 upload wifi on 76/20 connection at moment though.

so would you upgrade, is the SH2 good enough based on how its doing now to handle 150 and if I went above - am I best to be looking at an alternative router that doesn't have modem and will just plug in once FTTP is installed via WAN

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Would you upgrade ?

Go to solution

The SH2 is fine for the 100Mb service. It is not a WiFi 6 device but as you are having no problems now it is up to you if you purchase a third party router.

Personally I never use ISP routers but my needs will be different from yours.

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

If I was lucky enough to be offered FTTP then I would not hesitate. The extra speed would be great when I download large files but more important I am future proofing my connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

If I was lucky enough to be offered FTTP then I would not hesitate. The extra speed would be great when I download large files but more important I am future proofing my connection

This 100%, my FTTC has slowed over the years, I wouldn't have that worry on FTTP, plus I know that should I want faster as technology improves and more devices use the internet, I could do so with ease.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you.

If I stepped up my speed further what router would you recommend and is it easy enough to set up 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

It depends on your budget, the ASUS RT-AX88U is highly recommended and simplicity to set up.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

thank you

0 Ratings