cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Yet another one - used to get 16Mbps ADSL now get 17Mbps VDSL

Copper cable run to the cabinet is <1200m. This is a clean line which used to give excellent ADSL speeds 16Mbps download / 1.2Mbps upload. Since the changeover to "Superfast Broadband" it performs as shown below. I don't need to check anything in the premises, it's perfect - and I don't even want to problem-solve the line issue here, because I have no control over what BTW/OR does. I've got a BT Retail Case Manager who will push to get this resolved - but there's no point getting fired up unless this is something that actually can be resolved: firstly, I just need to know what is possible. Therefore, could any qualified BT engineer, please answer the following questions:

1) Is there anything obvious that could account for the observed VDSL and ADSL speeds being the same ?

2) What should my realistic VDSL expectation be in Mbps assuming, that the 1.2km copper line is near-perfect ?

Many thanks.BTW1.PNGBTW2.PNG

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yet another one - used to get 16Mbps ADSL now get 17Mbps VDSL

are the dslchecker results using your phone number or address

if as you say you are 1200m from the street cabinet then I am not surprised that your speed is so low as vdsl does not travel as well as adsl as shown here.  Post your stats from advanced settings then technical log information

remember this is a customer help customer forum and your post does not go to BT

FTTC speed graph.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

You can't compare ADSL and VDSL, the frequency range is totally different and thus the attenuation. Also ADSL is fed from the exchange and VDSL from the cabinet.

That said, the DSL checker information you posted doesn't reflect you being 1200M from the cabinet but rather much closer than that. Are you in a rural area with a very long individual line to your premises from the DP (distribution point/pole)?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

If you are 1200m from the cabinet then you won't get anywhere near 73Mb from VDSL, 16Mb-17Mb is more realistic , is the image in the first post for your phone number ?
Perhaps the 'checker' is incorrect, if that is what is returned for your phone number.
There is a distance where VDSL drops off to such an extent that ADSL2+ may well provider better speed, obviously the distance is to the exchange for ADSL, not the distance to the cabinet.
Perhaps you could post your router stats to check you have are on VDSL , and what your max attainable speed is, that said , the BTw speed test shows an upload speed in excess of what ADSL can deliver so you will probably will be on VDSL, it does look to me that the speed estimator site for whatever reason is massively overestimating what's possible, but if you state that's why you changed you should be able to change back penalty free, if you are considering other ISP's FTTC , what you get now will almost certainly be the same with them

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for the replies. The stats are for the incoming line, not post-code. We are definitely on VDSL, the upload speed clinches that one, plus Open Reach records show  that the job is complete. Yes, we are rural. The layout is Village exchange ---> 20m to CAB1 ---> 200m to CAB2 ---> 1000m to CAB3. Fibre runs to all the DPs. The cable containing our copper pair runs 1.2km  across fields to CAB2 and would need a new overhead section (about 150-200m) to reach CAB3, the nearest fibre DP, about 400m away.

The misselling has occurred because Open Reach thought that our DP was CAB3 whereas it is actually CAB2, followed by 1,200m copper segment across fields. BT have acknowledged that they sold me the product on an expectation of 30Mbps or more. A performance engineer is coming out on Tuesday but, having seen the FTTC graph above, I don't see there's much hope of any improvement.

Open Reach have changed the records for our property (having actually been on site and had a look at what's here) but not the other propertiers nearby that share our cable. The situation is laughable.

Thank you all for the responses.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

The layout is Village exchange ---> 20m to CAB1 ---> 200m to CAB2 ---> 1000m to CAB3. Fibre runs to all the DPs. The cable containing our copper pair runs 1.2km across fields to CAB2 and would need a new overhead section (about 150-200m) to reach CAB3, the nearest fibre DP, about 400m away.

OR Engineer came, re-wired 2 metres from the external box and fitted new OR 5 Master Socket. This achieved a 5 mbps increase to 21 mbps, so not to be sniffed at.

However, he also told me that our o/h cable actually joins the underground channel at a post between CAB2 and CAB3, just 100m from CAB3 where of course there is a fibre DP. I pushed BT to ask for a re-route so that our copper section runs 100m south to CAB3, rather than 900m north to CAB2, as we now know it does currently.

Miracle of miracles, OR have agreed with my suggestion and so they have ordered a cease and reconnect which will be done while we are on holiday. Was I just lucky? Probably not. I don't think this would have been achieved without my getting personally involved, understanding the problem - and then suggesting the solution! And not accepting "no" for an answer always helps.

Hope this is useful to someone else.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

look forward to you posting back after reconnection

that will be a great result but I think you were lucky as the normal openreach response is 'no'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

look forward to you posting back after reconnection

that will be a great result but I think you were lucky as the normal openreach response is 'no'

Indeed, the reason being that it is usually physically impossible without a complete network re-arrangement of multiple lines whereas in this case the circumstances make it possible.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

I'll come back with an update when it's been done. Meanwhile here is the improvement effected by a small piece of re-wiring at the premises. For the record this is over approximately 1200 m of copper.

VDSL-1200m.PNG

0 Ratings