broadband keeps dropping .... getting fed up with BT after only 5 months

no idea who to complain to .... my bt dont take me anywgere

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: broadband keeps dropping .... getting fed up with BT after only 5 months

Have you tried connecting to the test socket with a filter to rule out any internal fault?

Whilst connected there do a quiet line test on 17070 option 2, best with corded phone. Any noise report a line fault not broadband.

0 Ratings
roythespark
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

i have no idea what 17070 is ,,, i have no internal wiring or extensions .... im using a filter 

im paying for a service .... i dont expect to have to sort this out myself .... if i do, can i invoice bt for my time ?

at the moment i cant wait till bt put the cost up so i can walk away

before i moved we had  virgin media( ntl and other names)  for 14 trouble free years 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

What @pippincp means is to use your phone to dial 17070 (free call), then select option 2 (Quiet Line Test).

You should hear no noise, apart from an occasional announcement. Listen for at least thre minutes, just to see if there is any noise.

If you have a noisy line, then it will always be there, whichever provider you use, until the fault is fixed.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings
roythespark
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

thanks 

i unplugged everything for half hour and reconnected ...... its holding at the moment ....  we shall see

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@roythespark wrote:

thanks 

i unplugged everything for half hour and reconnected ...... its holding at the moment ....  we shall see

Its quite possible you have a bad connection somewhere, either internal to your house, or on the external network, so its worth checking with a phone, as described.

Disconnecting then re-connecting, may have temporarily cleared the problem, but it may be back.

0 Ratings