cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashley01uk
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

bt Internet in my area

Hi guys just a quick question I'm am currently with virgin media and the speeds in my area are very poor I'm getting 3mb at night if that and I'm paying for 60mb my question  is can anyone tell me if b.t interest is good in my area I live in Penn warstones  wv4 area ??

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
dombullion
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: bt Internet in my area

Hi ashley01uk,

This looks like the exchange you might be on: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CMPEN

and it shows FTTC available in some areas. 

This address which might be close to you shows the speed of FTTC available:

Address 170 WARSTONES ROAD, PENN, WOLVERHAMPTON, WV4 4LF on Exchange PENN is served by Cabinet 11

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)8079.92020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8077.62019--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5--3 to 7.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5Up to 13 to 7.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 4--2.5 to 7Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available

Hope this helps,

Dominic

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

As per the checker:

If you are doing and address check is less accurate than the telephone number checker because the result is not based on an individual telephone line at the premises. BT's ability to provide Broadband to your address is dependent on the presence of an existing BT line and other factors, including the availability of broadband at your serving exchange, and the length of the line connecting you to the exchange.

I found that the address checker gives a higher estimate than the phone line checker.

ashley01uk
Beginner
Message 4 of 16

hi yes thanks for the help guys i currenty dont have a bt line installed so i cant do that do they charge to get a line installed ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
dombullion
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Hi,

Take a look at the following link:http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages/?infinity=yes

It indicates that on BT Infinity Option 1 there is a £30 activation charge but no connection charge as this is included and for Option 2 both are free.

This will save you a lot of money as the standard connection charge for a brand new BT line is £130

Hope this helps,

Dominic. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Not if you are going for the Totally Unlimited Infinity packages. See link

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages?Infinity=yes

0 Ratings
ashley01uk
Beginner
Message 7 of 16

oh ok thanks guys just hoping that if i do change from virgin media im not going to be having the same problems im getting now 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Unfortunately you will never know until you are connected up but going by the estimates, even allowing for a bit of over estimation you should get good speeds.

0 Ratings
ashley01uk
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

yeh i know hhaha thanks for the help i think il be giving them a call tomorow and see when i can switch had enough of this virgin media utilisation problem in my area been goin on for over a year now 😞

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 16

@gg30340 wrote:

As per the checker:

If you are doing and address check is less accurate than the telephone number checker because the result is not based on an individual telephone line at the premises. BT's ability to provide Broadband to your address is dependent on the presence of an existing BT line and other factors, including the availability of broadband at your serving exchange, and the length of the line connecting you to the exchange.

I found that the address checker gives a higher estimate than the phone line checker.

Sorry gg but it has nothing to do with the length of the line to the exchange as you should well know when referring to FTTC services. The OP can only get an estimate from the postcode checker (or better the address checker) as he is with Vermin ATM.

0 Ratings