Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarah082
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

bt customers cannot access my website

Go to solution

Wondering if anyone can help.

I have recently created a website for a friend of mine hydeandchic.co.uk who sells baby items and ladies handbags. We installed an SSL certificate on it Thursday and its now secure. However any BT or SKY customers that try and access the website get an error message SSL Protocol error.

If i ask the customers to turn off their wifi and use mobile data then they can get on no problem. Also any other ISP's can also access it.

So it sounds like for some reason bt have blocked any of their customers from seeing the website.

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be? I have tried several times speaking with people from BT and all they keep saying is that ive to get the customers to ring them and complain. But what about the people that google the website. How would they know to ring and complain? they wouldnt theyd just find the next company down in google that they can access

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: bt customers cannot access my website

Go to solution

The website isn't blocked for me, it is however configured wrong, by visiting  hydeandchic.co.uk defaults to a page that doesn't exist hydeandchic.co.uk/defaultsite

Usually this is poorly configured DNS settings or it hasn't propagated any recent changes/registration, speak with your webhost, they'll have a better understanding and be able to help you.

I can see you A record is correct, TXT and CNAME are not, the rest I can't check externally.

MX are also wrong, which is for email.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I suggest you talk to your hosting comnpany, the problem only appears to be with IPv6, the site works fine on IPv4. BT and Sky use IPv6 extensively now and will attempt to connect at IPv6 and then drop back to IPv4 if IPv6 fails. For some reason your site isn't dropping connections  back to IPv4.

sarah082
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Oh my word! You are now a genius in my eyes 🙂 The problem is now fixed! 

The website was from a different domain to where it was hosted. Turns out when they transferred it over they had given my customer 2 ip addresses - 1 with IPV 6 and one with IPV 4 and it caused conflict.

Although i feel 1and1 incompetent,  i am so grateful to you for helping to solve the problem for me.

Thanks again!

Sarah

0 Ratings
sarah082
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Oh my word! You are now a genius in my eyes 🙂 The problem is now fixed!

The website was from a different domain to where it was hosted. Turns out when they transferred it over they had given my customer 2 ip addresses - 1 with IPV 6 and one with IPV 4 and it caused conflict.

Although i feel 1and1 incompetent, i am so grateful to you for helping to solve the problem for me.

Thanks again!

Sarah
0 Ratings