cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 32

Re: cable to my cabinet

I think its work remembering that

1 - people on here are largely not BT employees
2 - the infrastructure was never installed to handle the sort of frequencies that are used, its a minor miracle that it works at all
3 - the records of cables put down over the years (especially before modern databases) are sketchy at best. Its not surprising that someone in a call centre isn't aware that your cable is Alu and aggressive language doesn't help anyone 🙂

Alu is worse than copper, but not by much ( 0.0282(Ω x mm2)/m to 0.017241 (Ω x mm2)/m) but joints can corrode and give rise to problems (we use a lot of alu cables at work)
Post your hub stats, and the BT broadband checker and lets see what you should get and see if its a problem that can be improved upon. BTW is their any noise on your phone line ?, are you gaming using wifi or ethernet ?
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 32

@WSH

There very much was a cable called ethernet as when it was launched, there was nothing else. It was a coax cable with active taps at the standing wave points down the cable, with terminators to prevent reflections at each end and used CSMA/CD as a fundamental control due to the single medium by which the data flowed. We still have some thick ethernet with MAU's at work for the reactor control computer comms 🙂 and I have some thin ethernet cable at home connecting a couple of Microvax 3300's

Certainly, the twisted pair cable we call 'ethernet cable' today, isn't.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 32

Screenshot 2021-06-27 075451-BT.png

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 32

I JUST POSTED MY HUB STATS ..AS I DONT TRUST THE BT CHECKER...

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 32

Most of the older E-Side Network is still Paper Insulated. It’s fine if it’s kept dry, which is why they pressurise the cable.

There are still parts of the D-Side Network that have it as well though, usually it’s in remote areas where it’s all buried direct in ground.

Message 16 of 32

your stats show you have a 40/8mb connection speed with and max attainable of 41/8 and noise margin about normal 6db

without dslchecker info you are getting as good as your line can handle

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 32

@MARKYMARK2020

Can you just ease up, and stop shouting, we are not BT employees and just trying to help.

The BT checker will show us what is expected for your line, especially the handback threshold and can advise you if there is any likelihood of improvement.
Message 18 of 32

There are a few ex Openreach/BT employees on here and at least one current one who can advise if only the OP answers the questions he's asked.

It is up to him if he wants an answer.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 32

IM NOT SHOUTING... IM STIPULATING... YOUR NOT IN FRONT OF ME.. SO I CANT SHOUT AT YOU

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 32

AND THE BT CHECKER JUST LIES... CAUSE OPEN REACH SAYS UP TO 80MBS.. BT ONLY SAYS 29 TO 36...

0 Ratings