Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauljm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

decrease in speed -- Infinity FTTC

Go to solution

Over the couple of months or so my downstream speed has reduced from an average of 25Mb to 12Mb,  sometimes dipping to only 4Mb.

On one occaision the speed tests actually showed that Upstream speeds were 4 times faster than downstream, this situation remained for couple of hours!!!

On top of this the WAN connection time very rarely goes more than 24 hours.

On carrying out the BT Speed test & other speedtests on a daily basis for the past month it informs me that the IP profile for my service is a little over 12Mb (sometimes dropping to 11Mb).

On reporting this to the BB help line they agreed that there is a problem with my service & arranged for an engineer to visit, he carried out a good physical check & pronounced all OK but even his tester showed 12Mb. His comment was that the IP profile was set too low, probably due to a previous line fault & he would arrange for this to be changed to a 'proper' setting.

However after 1 week nothing has changed.

On looking at the history of my router (HH3) it seems that the speed decrease coincided with the firmware upgrade in November to Version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A)! --- Is this more than coincidence??

Needless to say I have reset the hub on several occaisions & even defaulted the settings & retested but no change.

If it is going to stay at this rate I may as well ask to go back to standard ADSL where at least it had a rock solid 10Mb & save some money.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
astar27
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: decrease in speed -- Infinity FTTC

Go to solution
unlikely to do with the firmware update. basically the ip profile just needs to be shoved up by bt wholesale, get onto them especially about your ip profile
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

It's possible that there is an intermittent noise on your line, that wasn't present when the engineer tested.  Then, even if the profile is set higher, it will automatically lower itself again in reaction to that noise.  Difficult to verify this unless you have an unlocked modem that can monitor the connection.

Does the WAN connection tend to fail at a regular time?  Intermittent noise is sometimes regular (for example a bad central heating pump), and timing can help track it down.

0 Ratings
pauljm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I have looked into all those possibilities & more ( I am a telecoms engineer).

Problem is definitely outside the premises. I have even gone as far as removing the faceplate on the junction box & connecting an ADSL filter straight on to the BT presentation connection with no difference.

0 Ratings
pauljm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Nice man from BT Openreach came out today, checked line, only 11Mb sync rate. Got on to exchange & upped to 30Mb. Has been stable at that rate now for about 8 hours. Hopefully that's all it was. A low IP profile setting probably caused by an intermittent fault back last year. Problem seems to be that to get over a high error rate the speed drops automatically but is not raised again in the same way afterwards once all is stable.
I will keep monitoring.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

DLM is nortoriously slow in raising the profile after a fault as it errs on the "best" side rather than the "able to do" side, if you know what I mean. It can also get "stuck" at a figure.

At least you're sorted now.

0 Ratings