Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NIck87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 25

disconnect /SNR (dB)

Hello

I have been having problems with my internet disconnecting 1 to 3 times a day and may not disconnect for 3 days really random for 3/4months now tried different modems and BT hub, and only the one pc wired to test each modem and still the same problem and I had BT open reach around can't find anything wrong? I get this error in the syslog on the Drayteck router Protocol:LCP(c021) TermReq Identifier:0x50  ##.

The modem I have been using is a Draytek 2860 I have had it for almost a year, fully up dated firmware and modem codes too, I have also sent my router back to Draytek and they say nothing wrong with it.

But what I would like to know is the SNR (dB) what reading should I get?

Normally I get   SNR Upstream 6 (dB) and SNR downstream 5 (dB)?

But I have notice that the SNR drop to SNR Upstream 5 (dB) and SNR downstream 1(dB)?

Just wanted to know if this was normal thanks?

Regards

Nicholas

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: disconnect /SNR (dB)

the normal down noise margin is about 6db and in some cases it can be lowered to 3db  if you only have 1db then that is very low and probably close to resetting

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet apart from announcement and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

Hi @NIck87,

How are things with your connection? Did you try the quiet line test as suggested by @imjolly?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
NIck87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 25

hello 

snr 1 small.png

SNR 5 small.png

Still the same problem done the silent test and I do hear white noise only when the down SNR reach to 1dB. But disconnected 3 times this week at random i am just wondering were i go from here?

more question?

1) if my line is going bad (1dB) why does my speed not drop down (see pictures and the two picture were taken about 20min apart on 10th may 2018)?

2) why does my SNR up stream not move at the same time with down stream?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 25

I moved your post to infinity board as you are not on adsl

the connection speed will remain constant even when noise margin reduces and only change when connection drops and reconnects

If you can hear line noise especially when noise margin reducing then repoty a phone fault to 151  get line fixed and broadband will improve

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NIck87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 25

hello 

just to give you an update my internet is still bad SNR downstream still drops from 8-0 dB and resets 1-6 times aday at random times and i have had my 7th BT openreach engineer out and they admit the problem but can't seem to fix it and I am at the level 2 bt department ware can I go from here? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

post the stats from your router  if you are dropping internet connection up to 6 times daily then your conenction speed must be really low and surprised noise margin is only 8db

you need to get another engineer visit

0 Ratings
NIck87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 25

Untitled.jpgIMG_0187.jpg

0 Ratings
NIck87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

0 Ratings
NIck87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 25

bt info.jpgjust wondring if any of this information will be usefull for you?

0 Ratings