cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dannyw24
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

event log error (DSL Link Down)

Recently the past couple of days, me and my girlfriend have noticed our broadband keeps dropping out then reconnecting, the router will flash an array or colours, orange then back to blue after some minutes.

I stream and game on a daily basis so this simply isn't good enough, its been working floorlessly for several months now, now appears to suddenly cut off every few hours.

I've taking the following from the error log and technical log, I hope this helps.

Event Log

21:42:46, 20 Mar. WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]
21:42:41, 20 Mar. PPP: Stopped PPP daemon(0,1,5)
21:42:37, 20 Mar. PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
21:42:34, 20 Mar. PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)
21:42:34, 20 Mar. PPP: IPCP down
21:42:34, 20 Mar. PPP: LCP down
21:42:34, 20 Mar. DSL Link Down: duration was 5928 seconds

Technical Log

Data rate:10 Mbps / 54.997 Mbps
Maximum data rate:21.259 Mbps / 61.554 Mbps
Noise margin:13.2 / 7.7
Line attenuation:13.4 / 13.5
Signal attenuation:13.2 / 13.5
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: event log error (DSL Link Down)

Do a quiet line test (best with corded phone). 17070 option 2. Any noise report a line fault NOT broadband.

0 Ratings
Dannyw24
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

I'd happily do this but don't have a landline as we have no need, is there another way to test the noise?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

You will need to test for noise using a phone, as noise on your line will cause dropouts. There is no other way to do it.

Buy a cheap (less than £10) wired phone to run a check.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

If you can't borrow a corded phone, then even paying for a cheap corded phone could save you the possibility of being charged £130, so it's a good investment. 🙂
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 14

The charge is £85 now.

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Ah right, thanks. 🙂
0 Ratings
Dannyw24
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

I've picked up a cheap cord phone from the local supermarket, I'll try this tonight and keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help .
Dannyw24
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

So I've tested the line and cant hear any "noise" but what this noise is meant to sound like is unknown to me. I can hear the faint buzz that would hear on any telephone line but other then that it seems okay, I listened to it for several minutes, no loud buzz, or crackle.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 14

It should be silent.