Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 10

ever diminishing speeds

Hi,

Been with BT for around 5 years (ever since infinity became available at my house).  Speed started out great, at around 73Mbps and since then has slowed a little over the years and settled at 66Mbps for about the last 18 months.  Ten days ago, the ping doubled and download dropped to about 52Mbps so I contacted BT CS - God, why are they so difficult to deal with?

Engineer dispatched for last Wednesday - when he arrived, he said he wasn't Open Reach and he poked around in the house at the master socket for around 40 mins, during which time he snipped the ends off the cables and crimped new RJ45/RJ11 plugs on them.  Made absolutly no difference and so he arranged for Open Reach to come today.

Nice lad, very helpful - arrived at 08:00 and was in attendance for around 4 hours.  He said he was seeing 63Mbps on his test equipment, and that there were "some errors that had failed a test".  He said he was able to look at historic connection speeds and agreed with me that I was on circa 66Mbps up to the beginning of July.  He disappeared and looked down a manhole at the top of the street and then to the cabinet where he said he's moved my line to a different port.

When he came back to the house, his test gear indicated 53Mbps !  He made a call and requested a DLM reset and the guy on the other end of the phone said that the port was "open - 80/20". 

In the end, the engineer just said that he couldn't explain why my speeds were so bad and left?

I'm 280 metres from the cabinet and my IP profile is now 62Mbps - I'm getting mid to high 50's download.

Surely, I should be getting better speeds than that - I may as well be on Infinity 1 - at least it would save a few quid. 

Contract is up for renewal now - I don't "want" to leave as I can't be bothered with all the hassle and, I'm not sure I want to go back to Virgin Media?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: ever diminishing speeds

post stats from your hh6  advanced settings then technical log information  hh5 troubleshooting then helpdesk

enter phone number and post results https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html    remember delete number

run btspeedtester and then diagnostic test and post results  must be done wired and preferably with IE/Edge http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

are you using test socket with a filter  to see if that improves your conenction

try dialling 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The engineer put a new master socket on "master socket 5C" - not sure if it has a test socket ?

screenshot.4.jpgscreenshot.5.jpgscreenshot.6.jpg

Let me know if I can supply any other information and if I should take the faceplate off the mastersocket - I think I might have a filter, otherwise will have to buy one.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

the front of master just unclips by squeezing the sides and shows test socket

from stats you have 64mb connection speed and that is bottom end of dslchecker estimated speed

which exchange and cab are you on?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

I'm on the Lemmington exchange in Newcastle - cabinet 58 - sorry, I chopped that bit off when I did the screenshot.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

I thought you were maybe on Huawei cab and would get G.INP activated laterd but like me you are on ECI so no G.INP at the moment

0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

ah, no - def an ECI cabinet - worse luck !

Not looked for a filter yet - will see if I have one and report back.

I'm not so simple as to think that Plusnet or Vodafone can live up to their promises as they're all using the same infrasrtucture, but BT want £39.99 to renew my exisitng contract. **Edited**

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 10

apologies re the forum rules - I'll ensure not to do anything like this agin.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 9 of 10

@Geoff_UK

I presume your socket looks like this?

NTE5C.jpg

If so squeeze the front off and the test socket will be like this 

NTE5C_Test.jpg

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

yes it does, thanks

I will seek out a filter tomorrow and test it.

Cheers