Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
leemac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

f8lure graphs help?

I'm probably being a real dummy here but just had BT Infinty installed today and wanted to set up a f8lure graph to monitor latency as I'd previously done for my broadband, but I presume I have to do something with the firewall in the HH5 for it to work as I'm getting nothing but a red 'down' message?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: f8lure graphs help?

The HH5 does not respond to pings.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 7

@ray_dorset wrote:
The HH5 does not respond to pings.

Yet.

It is possible it may be added in a future frimware upgrade. I know it has been requested.

The problem is that BT still sees respond to ping as a security issue. Fair enough it was at one time but firewalls have come a long way since.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Of course you don't have to wait for a firmware upgrade, you simply add a device that does respond to pings and put it in the HH5 DMZ.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
leemac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

That explains why I couldn't find anything in the firewall... thanks!

I don't know much about using port forwarding and have never even heard of DMZ until I saw it in the HH5 settings, but I presume that is only for use with other devices and not with an external website like f8lure. So therefore no way of using anything like f8lure graphs unless BT allow it in a firmware update?

I have found from the few stats I can see in the HH5 that things look a little bit different from my previous ADSL connection:

Data rate: 9995 / 39993
Maximum data rate: 27413 / 88894
Noise margin: 18.5 / 20.9
Line attenuation: 0.0 / 17.4
Signal attenuation: 0.0 / 17.4

(previously:

Bandwidth: 1.347 / 15.267
Line Attenuation: 17,9 / 30,5
SN Margin: 7,2 / 6,0)

Is this good, bad or indifferent?

My pings are fairly similar at low 20s although I haven't had a chance to play CoD online yet to see if it feels any different. Was keen to set up another f8lure graph though to keep an eye on things. 😞

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

To get f8lure graphs to work you simply add a device that does respond to pings and put it in the HH5 DMZ. There's no magic to it, if you have a printer on the network or skybox or even if you have an old router that responds to pings, just put it in the DMZ.

Your stats look fine, you may even get full speed if you upgrade to 80/20.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
leemac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thanks ray_dorset. That was simple enough. Obviously only works when the device in question is on, which isn't ideal, but is better than nothing.

Wasn't sure about the stats so ta for that too, might upgrade to the full 80/20 in future, not really sure I need the additional speed though, which is why I just opted for the 40/10 initially.
0 Ratings