cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 34

fibre being run !

Open reach have been very busy in our area for the last couple of months. Yesterday had a chat to the lads who are now running fibre into the chamber outside our house.

Looking on the availability checker its not even registering yet. A very large old victorian  hospital was converted over the last few years and appears to have been supplied with FTTP (from the same cabinet farm as our estate), so I imagine OR are taking the opportunity to pull fibres through the ducts on to our estate built around 2002.

My question is, how long is it generally from Openreach running the fibre to it being available  ?

Cant wait 🙂

0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34

Re: fibre being run !

We were about a couple of months and just kept periodically checking for availability. I suspect every case will be different but they’ll be keen to get it up and running.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 34

Piece-of-string-2.jpg

Message 4 of 34

How long's a piece of string? When it shows on the avaialbility checker is when you can get it..

BTW FTTP does not come from a cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 34

This is one of the perennial frustrations of being a broadband consumer who aspires to upgrade.  All of the major service providers require 12 - 24 month contracts yet can't or won't tell you what they are planning to make available in 12  - 24 days.  How on earth an ordinary customer is supposed to make sensible, informed and cost-effective decisions I do not know.   This is especially challenging in rural and remote locations where there isn't much competition or great profit  in service provision.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 34

Very useful pip - thanks for that, your sooo helpful 🙂

And I meant the fibres all come from the cabinet farm area as I imagine the backbone runs through there and all the excavation work was done from this area. and they were pulling the cables through the ducts from here.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 34

No idea what a 'cabinet farm' is. Fibre for FTTP comes from a head end exchange which may or may not be your local exchange to a splitter node and is then split out to the various properties. The only reason it might go anywhere near a cabinet is to utilise existing duct space.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 34

I had fibre pulled right up to my front door a year or two ago now. At that time I could not get it, even though some neighbours had it. I can only assume they had run out of capacity in the exchange.

With more of us in the house WFH, my wifes work connection is very poor on Infinity. I wnt on to BT yesterday and found FTTP 900 is now available for the same price I pay now, so went ahead and ordered it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 34

Exactly, I used it as a simple term to identify where the main ducts are and is where our streets ducts meet the main road,. When the old victorian hospital was converted, the number of cabinets at this point blossomed into a veritable farm of cabinets providing VDSL to the hospital. Since that time, a further estate was built and FTTP cables have been run via this area to that site and now they are running from there through into the ducts in our street. Simple 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 34

Its now saying 'soon' on the web site

0 Ratings