cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

fibre speeds - what do you need to get?

On the BT Wholesale checker, it says that people on the same cabinet as me can benefit from FTTC speeds and it said that they can purchase their fibre service from an ISP.
The exchange & cabinet are definitely enabled for fibre to the cabinet.
Unfortunately, I am unable to get it (probably because I'm too far out of the way).
My line attenuation is 35 (down) and I get a sync speed of 7328Kbps download
(here's my stats:
DSL Status: Up  
  DSL Modulation Mode: GDMT  
  DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED  
  Downstream Rate: 7328 Kbps  
  Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps  
  Downstream Margin: 7 db  
  Upstream Margin: 25 db  
  Downstream Line Attenuation: 35  
  Upstream Line Attenuation: 20  
  Downstream Transmit Power: 0  
  Upstream Transmit Power: 0)
Anyway, do any of you know what speed you have to be getting in order for fibre to show up as available on the wholesale checker?
My speeds were around 2Mbps until an engineer came out and connected me to a new circuit or something on the pole and now I'm getting about 5Mbps. 
It says on the wholesale checker:
'Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1Mbps and 3Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.'
But the other day when I was moving to BT Business, the man said if I would like to qualify for BT Infinity and he said he'll run a line test and he said yes your line is enabled and you can purchase BT Infinity with speeds of 31Mbps download and 5Mbps upload.
He told me he'd ring me back to complete the order and when he did he said he done the final line check and it doesn't show up anymore that I can get it.
So yes, what speeds need to be shown on the line checker (and will it automatically come up that I can get FTTC if the speeds reach a certain amount?)
I appreciate your help, thanks.
Jack

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
MadGamer1988
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: fibre speeds - what do you need to get?

have you been to www.bt.com/infinity and done a check using your telephone number?

0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi there, yes I have but the wholesale checkers aren't working for me and a few other people for me today.

0 Ratings
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

From the estimate you need to achieve 15mb if infinity was installed to your property. If the estimate is below 15mb then BT will not connect you to infinity. However there is some talk of reducing it down to 5mb.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

jdowning640 Hi there

the wholesale checker will show your fibre speed when it is available to you to order
0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

i am aware of that although what distance/speed do you need to get on ADSL in order for it to show on the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

it will show automatically your adsl speed is not important the decider is the speed that fibre can be delivered which is 15mb from cabinet to your home if your fibre service will give less than the 15mb then bt will not except a fibre order
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

So is there no way I can get fibre if it is not offering it to me now? I'm 1.8 miles from cabinet and 1.9miles from exchange.

If I called up BT myself could they place a manual order?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

If it is available from your cab then yes try a manual order
0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Will BT Business do a manual order for fibre?

Jack

0 Ratings