Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nicey1958
Contributor
Message 1 of 36

fttp/ftth whatever u want to call it... sounds exciting... yeah

Go to solution

After  4 months laying of fibers on the estate as a Goverment initiative to bring Highspeed BB.. and also watching openreach  return on numerous visits to sort out problems... (which is understandable.. (I used to do the same job basically round different universitys.. so I know about problems... Ducts blocked ect. That was ten years ago b4 I retired so things might have changed 🙂  I had a date for install...   Yeah... really.. the 17th jan    After a cpl of calls to BT and a few screwy emails... I spoke to BT about transferring service (phone/Broadband from sky) because u have too if u have FTTP..  No disruption of service they told me..it would all be done in one day..... Hold on...   I told them they still have to put fiber from the duct to the house... and then from the point outside the house.. to the modem/bt router...   sounds sooo simple... but i know better... What if the duct is Blacked and they cant do it...

As it happend... i received a cancellation..(12 hours before).. that it would now occur on the 31st jan..with a  pre visiit 7 days before to put fiber from the duct to outside the premises...

guess what...  my internet was cut off on the 17th (the phone transfer went ok) but my SKY connection was cancelled...yay..no internet.) After a few phone calls...It was said that should never have happened.. but it did... and with no offer of alternatived to reconnect me to any sort of service. (I was told that i would definately receive a phone call on the 1st FEB to resolve any complaints... (did it happen, did I get a phone call   noooo).

Ok to go along with this BT package... I also took out BT TV  which should have only been activated with Inifinety Activation.. Was it delayed..no.... which meant BT sport was cancelled on sky.. 10 days after they said it would..... ( after a phone call... it took 2 whole days to get it going again to reactivate it with sky...... missed all the FA cup games for that weekend..well not me the wife wasnt happy....so it was worse..

The plus point....     I have had 3 teams come to look look at the install problems  (duct blocked with silt..or  a joint angle that the duct rods wouldnt go round.....   The initial team.... spend 3 hours trying to sort the problem... They really tried.... and photo'd and really explained the problem...  I signed a consent form to do whatever they needed...

6 days later to other 2 guys..slightly bigger came again with drain rods..again... said it was blocked.... and said they would be back next morning to start dig........(never showed up)..but day after.. 2 other guys showed up.... these were bigger..so maybe brute force would do it....  Nope.... although I appreciate the efforts...    So now...I have had to take a rolling contract with a 4g mobile connection..which aint that bad TBO.. to carry on earning a supplemented income Mining.

BT    still waiting for your Complaints call which you promised ME.

Would i go with BT again.... yeah I probably would..at least it keeps you interested...lol

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
nicey1958
Contributor
Message 2 of 36

Re: fttp/ftth whatever u want to call it... sounds exciting... yeah

Go to solution

Well after phoning them , I got date(s) that it should completed by (digging that is)      the 9th or the 19th this month.....    I won't hold my breath. Meanwhile..Instead of the 3.50 for BT sports with BT TV.. its costing me 25.99 to get it via Sky.,   its also costing me 30 quid for a rolling 4g contract.. but hey BT.. thanks for the effort.

0 Ratings
simoor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

We have a blocked duct also (serving 5 houses), they tried to rod but couldn't get it through, sounds like they will have to dig up the pavement. 

0 Ratings
nicey1958
Contributor
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

Well the 9th has arrived...and not a spade in sight  😞 Friday seems a funny day to start anyway..)

What is funny... openreach turned up on wednesday..to try to do a neighbours 2 doors away..but a lot nearer to the chamber...(same chamber..but a different duct to the house.. ) same problem, blocked.  The chamber that the Fttp fibre is terminated, feed 6 propertiies.. incl mine,  It is situated at the bottom a dip (prob  no more than 4 foot below the one at the top, but enough for any water to drain into ours from all the previuos connected chambers. So everytime a different ENG has been since FTTP installed on the estate..they spend an hour or so pumping out the duct. Im begining to think that the problem is either a collapsed duct or debris/silt blocked.   Roll on next week, see if a  road breaker wakes me up.

0 Ratings
nicey1958
Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution
well **bleep** me, no sooner than I pressed post, a spade arrived... 🙂
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

ROFL_C12.gif

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
simoor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution
Great news! I hope it goes well. Keep me posted i’m about to call BT now to see what our next steps are.
0 Ratings
nicey1958
Contributor
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

no wonder they arnt able to get a rod down it, they put a tone down the line to trace the exact route of the duct from the property.. It goes across my lawn towards the chamber (40ft) down the private shared driveway..get withing a metre of the chamber..veers right away into my the house garder directly infront of the chamber..and T's off into the main duct... So all the other neighbours Telephone cables do as well. At least my neighbour is a m8...as his lawn has to be dug at the very end of it.... I dread to think as my neighbour 2 doors away had openreach here on weds.. same problem... so will they come again and dig up the garden again?????

quick edit.

Well I hope they dont think I'm an interfering old git...but I let them know aout the neighbours problem as well..   YEAH..    they'll fix any problems there as well now.. Saves another dig...   :-).

0 Ratings
simoor
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

Wow, so it was down to the fact they couldn't get pull rod around the 90 degrees T junction turn?

0 Ratings
nicey1958
Contributor
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

job well done.. after digging down 3 feet...turns out it wasnt a t joint...  there was no joint there atall.... just the end of the duct... the cable poking out..and then going into another duct in a 180 turn.... the same was for the other properties. Anyway..they fixed the ducting...  put the fiber into mine and my neighbours garden..thus saving having to dig up his garden again when His order is processed. Whoever laid the ducts when the estate was built was either pxssed..or just didn't have a clue what they were doing...   (wimpey)     🙂    The 2 Openreach guys deserve a medal..because what the had to do..  its hardly noticable that there was a metre square whole in his lawn this morning.  The good thing was the bad weather stayed away.(the rain)

0 Ratings