If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
ghostzz
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: fttp/fttp in Edinburgh

i said fttp/ftth not **bleep** dsl idiot!
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 7

Hi ghostzz,

This is a BT Retail Customer to Customer help forum. Please be friendly to other members and not be rude or discourteous

The Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband Scheme is being rolled out, done and managed by Openreach for ALL ISPs/CPs so BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP whom operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get fibre broadband (FTTC or FTTP or equivalent) as that is up-to Openreach.

The majority of the exchanges in Edinburgh are FTTC enabled (meaning that FTTC is available in certain areas of Edinburgh where the exchange and PCP has been FTTC upgraded enabled and upgraded).

As to FTTP, there is no details when FTTP will be rolled out to existing FTTC areas or to Edinburgh in general. 

There is a thing called FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) where FTTC areas can request to get FTTP installed to their property if their exchange has been allows FTTPoD (though this is not supported by any ISPs at the moment), though may cost you thousands if you go down this route once ISPs take up this FTTPoD service.

FTTP on Demand (a product that Openreach and BT Wholesale have made available to FTTC enabled areas who want to pay for FTTP to be installed) has not been taken up by any ISP/CP as of yet.

However if BT Retail does take this FTTPoD service up in the future then to qualify for the product, your line has to be connected to a pcp (Cabinet) that is linked to a FTTC (DSLAM) cabinet. Your exchange also needs to be  "FTTP on Demand" ready too.

Also bear in mind that the FTTPoD service will be very expensive to install and you may have to cover the costs depending on the agreement with Openreach, BT Wholesale and the ISP In this case BT Retail.

Though saying all that BT Retail ( as well as other ISPs/CPs) have not taken up the FTTPoD service yet. 

In Conclusion, in may be many years till FTTC areas are upgraded with FTTP or when FTTPoD becomes a service that ISPs and Communication Providers take up then you can then pay for FTTP on Demand (beware it may cost you thousands though).

However Openreach have been trailing out Vectoring technolgy for their FTTC cabs to reduce the impacts of cross talk and could also boost speeds from upto 80mbps to upto 100+mbps in some cases for those who live close to their FTTC Dslam cabinet.

Here's a link to an article about Openreach trying out VDSL2 Vectoring technology (ITU-T G.993.5) on FTTC : http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/09/vectoring-trials-begin-as-bt-looks-to-improve-uk-fttc-b...

Though at the moment it is still in field trails.

May I also add ray_dorset was correct about using the BT Wholesale Database ,You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database for the most upto date information on what services are available on your line/to your property.

**The Commercial Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs. The BDUK fibre broadband schemes are managed by Openreach along with your local authority.BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

The checker works for FTTP as well.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Dean235
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

As the poster said above, it will show you all available services to you. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@ghostzz wrote:
i said fttp/ftth not **bleep** dsl idiot!

With a reply like that to somebody who was trying to help you I'm surprised anybody has replied to you at all.

0 Ratings